On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 03:02:28PM +0100, Phil Taylor wrote:

> >But I think we're going to have to deal with this at some point.
> >We _are_ running out of characters, there are ambiguities which could be
> >clarified by using a whole word, it would make the whole thing rather
> >more accessible to less-techy readers.
> >There's alway pre-processing, of course. "#define %%Title: T:" ...
>
> It doesn't solve your original problem though, unless the standard specifies
> a standard field letter to which %%Copyright can be #defined.

Point, yes.

#define %%Copyright: N:Copyright:

I'm not actually reccomending this, you understand, just pointing out
that it could be done, by anybody that wants word fields badly enough.

> I don't think we really are running out of field letters yet, since
> most of the lower case letters are still available.

We could certainly get by for a while, assuming we candecide what they
should be used for. But one day we will run out, so why not be ready
instead of being caught by suprise ? And the other points; it might be
clearer and easier to read.

Particularly, I'm getting unhappy about Jack's (??I think) mention
of A: as Author (of words). Or, more particularly, I use A: heavily as
Area, and am not comfortable, about 1) conflicting with other meanings
(it's not the first time A: ==  Author has been mentioned) and 2) the
issues that get raised by hierarchical data fields. In practice there's
no problem to it (that I can see) that a little commonsense can't deal
with, but it's not quite comfortable all the same. I could (maybe)
invent something like "%%A:Sweden:J\"amtland", "%%A:England:Northwest",
but these things are more useful if software understands them ...

And then again, I tend to prefer single-character fields because it's
less typing.

--
Richard Robinson