In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jack Campin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>>> This is one thing that can easily be written in ASCII, as "(c)" or
>>> "copyright" in some appropriate field; I use the Z: field most of
>>> the time because every time I've wanted to make the point I've been
>>> the copyright-holder, but it could go in C:, A:, D: or B: as well.
>> As long as you realise that (C) is not a copyright sign legally.
>
>That must be wrong or else source code could never be copyrighted.

No, it's quite right. I've forgotten web site references but it's quoted
in every document I read.

... and why not put © in a source code document if you want?

>(Not that copyright needs an explicit sign any more anyway - the
>point of the sign is to say who the copyright holder is, not to be
>a juju creating the legal status).

Agreed. But the sign must be © or the word "copyright". The documents
say that (C) is not sufficient.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland