In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Robinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>> And from the abc source you have written
>>
>> K:A_b^f^c
>>
>> shouldn't that have a G# also since you've written K:A?
>
>It definitely shouldn't have a G#, since the Gs aren't sharp.

So you are saying that

K:A  has 3 sharps

K:A _b has no sharps and one flat instead?

This is totally illogical. I can understand K:A _b to mean 3 sharps and
add a b flat but what now is the significance of the A?

>It's K:A<something> since A seems, to me, the root note. Amix would have
>been better - I have a vague memory that I tried that and it didn't work
>at the time, so the result's a kludge. But it does now.

The root note is totally irrelevant to anything. As you indicate,
sometimes there is argument about it anyway. Now I don't really mind
having minor keys as they are well established, and maybe even the modes
but in the case of made-up key signatures described exactly in a K:
format I don't see the point. Make that K:_b^f^c in your example above.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland