On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 06:07:16PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:
> Richard Robinson writes:
> | >
> | > Of course,  such  searches  are  always  prone  to  failure
> | > because people just give the wrong key.  It's common to see
> | > K:G for tunes in E minor or A dorian.  There's not a lot we
> | > can do about this except try to educate people.
> |
> | If I had them locally (the tunes, not the people) it might be worth
> | considering a single-character key sig as a flag for "this might
> | need changing" :-)
>
> Well, this might not be all that bad an idea.  I've thought
> that  it  would  be  nice  if  a  transcriber  could  write
> something like:
>
> K:?Adorian
>
> This would mean that the transcriber is guessing  the  key.
> The software would just ignore the '?', of course, and give
> ^f as the signature.  But it would warn interested  readers
> (humand  and  software) that the transcriber had some doubt
> about the accuracy of the key.
>
> Implementing this would be easy for most abc software: Just
> ignore the '?'.

Yes. There's nothing to prevent
K:Adorian   % ???
is there ? Though some GUI software may hide it, I suppose, I don't
know (I prefer to use a few of them, to avoid textual "?"s in
searches).

But it might be nicer if we could put it/them straight in the
fieldvalue and have it ignored. But, if in, say, a T:, it wouldn't
want to be ignored to the extent of not getting printed ...

--
Richard Robinson