From: "John Chambers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 02 December 2003 22:20
Subject: Re: [abcusers] Bar Lengths

> Richard Robinson writes:
> | On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:26:40PM -0000, Phil Headford wrote:
> | > I may have missed this from an earlier discussion; apologies if so.
> | > Real, working musicians in bands need to be able to choose (often in a
matter of seconds) a tune to go with the next dance.
> | > With a repertoire of hundreds (or a thousand or two) of tunes, the
characteristics of each tune or set are not always easy to bring to mind.
> | > So, many of us have little 5 or 6 page lists, which give some of our
favourite tunes aranged by the following criteria:

> | > Tune type (polka, jig, reel, etc)
> | > Key (and modulations)
> | > Bar length
> | >
> | > So which field in ABC do I use for bar structure? I have been putting
this info into a J: header field - eg 32=8*2+8+8 for Galopede, 40=8*2+12*2
for Herbert Smith's Polka,
> | > 40=8*2+8+8*2 for Waterloo Dance. Some might think this academic, but
for practical musicians, it's the second thing you want to know about a
tune.