On Fri, 14 May 2004, David Webber wrote:

> From: "John Chambers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Actually, Gardner Read is the one who's mistaken here.  ;-)
> Musicians
> > can and do play chords on several instruments with notes
> terminating

> Gardner and Bernard are quite correct, and with good reason.
>
> If one has, for example, a minim and a crotchet attached to the same
> stem, who is to say where the following note should be played - a
> crotchet later or a minim later?

I agree. I guess a program like abc2midi would have serious problems
interpreting such a situation. I think both musicians and software
developers should learn how to notate music properly. There seems to be
much misunderstanding about the difference between chords and polyphony.

I'm a user of MUP. There was a similar discussion some time ago about this
subject in the mup-users mailing list. Just like in abc in mup the notes
in a chord have to be of the same length, or else be in different voice.

If a user wants to break such a rule a notation software could implement
the manual placement of noteheads, stems and other objects. In a
graphically orientated package like Score Perfect Pro (great program and
cheaper than Finale or Sibelius) this is easily done. It's also easy to do
other illegal things like putting 5 quarter notes in 4/4 bar.

In music notation languages like mup and abc this is much more difficult,
or close to impossible.

 --

Martin Tarenskeen