On Tuesday, April 27, 2004, at 10:25 am, Exu Yangi wrote:
That is an even stronger restriction than stated. It means that you must be able to compile the same source code on Windows, Linux, and Macs. Doing it Windows and Linux is possible in a number of languages. However, throwing the Mac into the mix is another story because of the non-standard (indeed , ruinous IMHO) way the mac os's have been implemented.

I think you are talking about a version of the Macintosh (OS 9 or "Classic") that is no longer supported by Apple. Mac OS X has Unix at its core; FreeBSD 4.4 last time I checked (underneath that is Mach).

Anyway, if you can build it for Linux/Unix, the Macintosh port is simple and straightforward especially if you are not using vendor-specific GUI libraries/frameworks. This is even easier with Mac OS 10.3 "Panther" because of the inclusion of Linux interfaces.

Let's see, what are the truly cross platform languages I'm currently aware of: Python, Perl, Ruby, gcc (with C, C++, Obj-C), Java (sans Swing), Squeak/Smalltalk. I'm probably leaving out things like Eiffel, Lisp, and Scheme, but I haven't looked at them lately.

jw

--
   The penalty that good men pay for not being interested in politics
   is to be governed by men worse than themselves.