On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 7:37 AM, Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexan...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> We could add new roles if we have to, however it would make IA2 unique,
> since no other API seems use roles for elements like HTML:q.

That's true, but ATK does have a role for blockquote, for example, and I
think IA2 should too.
I'm actually not convinced we need a special role for <q> anyway. While I
guess it does have some semantic value, most browsers end up rendering
quotes around it by default... and I don't imagine many authors would
change this (apart from perhaps changing the marks used).

It is a separate issue, but how do you feel about introducing a basic
> taxonomies support: for example, roles() method that returns a string
> containing all comma separated roles, for example, "q,text" for HTML:q
> element? That would save us from usual torments, we deal with
> occasionally, whether we should or should not add a new role, which
> involves IDL changes and not backward compatible.

I don't see much practical advantage to this as compared with the xml-roles
object attribute, which is already in wide-spread use. I guess a new method
is theoretically cleaner (and I might agree if we were talking about
designing from scratch), but as I see it right now, it only serves to
create yet another mechanism for roles.

Jamie