Dear Rohan,
Can we get this in India? If so, how and what could be its price? I am very
keen to know more about this. If you can help, that will be great.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rohan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Access India" <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 9:30 PM
Subject: [AI] Mobile Phone Can Read Books

> Mobile Phone Can Read Books
>
> By Kim Tae-gyu, Staff Reporter
>
> Korea Times, South Korea, September 19, 2006
>
> LG Electronics, the world's fourth-largest cell phone vendor, has added
>
> another compelling feature to the mobile handset - reading books for the
>
> visually impaired.
>
> The Seoul-based company yesterday started marketing the model, the LF1300,
>
> through LG Telecom, the country's smallest wireless operator, at around
>
> 400,000 won.
>
> Only the blind, visually-impaired and dyslexic can buy the talking phone
>
> after presenting a government certificate at sales outlets of LG Telecom.
>
> ``The LF1300 is the world's first mobile handset that is capable of
>
> reading
>
> books for the print-disabled, who otherwise could not enjoy them," LG Vice
>
> President Cho Sung-ha said.
>
> ``This is not about making money at all but about contributing to society.
>
> We will continue to put forth efforts to bridge the digital divide for the
>
> disabled," Cho said.
>
> Users of the gadget can download approximately 300 audio books from the
>
> Internet site of LG Sangam Library to their handsets in two ways.
>
> One is to access the digital library's Web site (
>
> www.lg.or.kr
>
> ) on a
>
> computer
>
> specially designed for the blind to get the audio books and transfer them

> cell phones.
>
> The other is to download the digital books directly with cell phones
>
> through
>
> the wireless network by touching a hot key on the LF1300 handset. Both
>
> methods are free of charge.
>
> On top of its unique feature of reading books, the LF1300 is not inferior

> the contemporary top-line phones in both outlooks and functionalities.
>
> The sleek 16-millimeter-thick gizmo is armed with an MP3 player and a
>
> Bluetooth headset, which enables users to listen to the music or talks
>
> without a cord.
>
> The user interface of the LF1300 is also customized for the blind,
>
> enabling
>
> handset users to control it through a voice guidance system.
>
> However, there is a hitch because the phone's internal memory of 17
>
> megabytes is small even for a single audio book file, which takes up 80 MB
>
> on average.
>
> As a result, a high-volume external memory, which is available at
>
> electronics shops, is a must for the talking book services.
>
> Enjoy
>
> Rohan

This e-mail contains privileged information or information belonging to
  IDBI Ltd. and is intended solely for the addressee/s. Access to this
  email by anyone else is unauthorized. Any copying (whole or partial) or
  further distribution beyond the original recipient is not intended, and
  may be unlawful. The recipient acknowledges that IDBI Ltd. is unable to
  exercise control or ensure or guarantee the integrity of the contents of
  the information contained in e-mail transmissions and further
  acknowledges that any views expressed in this message are those of the
  individual sender and are not binding on IDBI Ltd. E-mails are
  susceptible to alteration and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. IDBI
  Ltd. does not accept any liability for damages caused on account of this
  e-mail. If you have received this email in error, please contact the
  sender and delete the material from your computer.