Disability and disaster management is a very apt theme to work upon
for MPhil/PhD. We don't have much research and documentation in India.
I wish someone takes it up! We had tsunami,Felan, floods in Bihar Kosi
belt, earthquake in Nepal and Tamil Nadu floods this month.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/fix-our-cities-chennai-floods-turned-out-to-be-a-great-deal-harder-for-people-with-disabilities/article8005418.ece
The lack of warning of the impending floods in Chennai made it
especially difficult for people with disabilities, who were left to
fend for themselves. While some needed rescuing, others lost essential
implements like hearing aids, crutches and calipers, leaving them more
vulnerable than ever before.

The disaster, however, did bring to the fore incredible stories of
courage and grit, where ordinary citizens became heroes as they helped
save lives.

 One such story is that of physically challenged teacher K.S.
Mariappan, who rescued four mentally challenged students from a
special school as water gushed into the campus.

December 1 seemed like just another rainy night to the students at the
Annai Special School, located on the banks of the Adyar river in
Saidapet. The inmates had retired to bed after dinner, as had
Mariappan, who also lived on the school premises.

Around 9 p.m., Pratap, one of the students who noticed the water
seeping into the school, rushed to Mr. Mariappan’s quarters to wake
him up.

Jolted into action, Mr. Mariappan took a call to move the students out
of the school to the home of a teacher who lived a kilometre away. By
the time they had collected a few essentials and started out of the
school on Mr. Mariappan’s retro-fitted bike, the water in the school
campus was ankle-deep. Since he suffers from polio, and depends on his
crutches to move about, the swirling waters posed a huge challenge for
Mr. Marippan, especially as he had to escort others to safety.

“To reach the house, we walked around half a kilometre. Walking
through the flooded streets on my crutches meant that the progress was
slow, and I had to accompany each student individually,” he said.

After he escorted the last student, Subhash, to safety, Mr. Marippan
went back to his bike to collect the certificates and other essentials
that he had managed to save from the water. “By this time the flood
waters had reached my chest, and I could no longer walk through the
swirling waters. I somehow managed to hold on to my crutches, but I
had to be carried by bystanders to prevent me from being washed away,”
he explains.

For the next three days, the group was forced to live with one of the
teachers, with very little food, almost no medical care, and two
special instructors to manage four distressed students.

A similarly harrowing situation played out in Nandambakkam, where the
students of MGR School for Hearing Impaired were stranded on their
campus, and were rescued by the National Disaster Response Force
(NDRF). Many of the students lost their hearing aids and certificates.

Official figures state that 11.7 lakh persons with disabilities live
in the State (around 1.7 per cent of the population). Estimates
suggest that the Chennai metropolitan area alone has over 1.5 lakh
disabled people. About two months ago, Vidyasagar, a city NGO working
with the disabled, wrote a letter to the State Disaster Management
Authority headed by the Chief Secretary, asking it to include the
needs of people with disabilities when making a disaster management
plan.

“The letter, which was sent in October, asked that persons with
disabilities be included on the panel of the authority so that they
could better explain the issues faced during natural disasters,”
Smitha Sadasivam from Vidyasagar said. So far, there has been no
response from the authority.

In a disturbing coincidence, the floods ravaged the city soon after
the letter was sent, and seemed to only emphasise the need to include
the disabled when coming up with a strategy for disaster management.

The case of Bhavana, who has cerebral palsy and lives in Sriram Nagar
Colony with her parents and caregiver, is one example which highlights
the crucial need for rescue teams to have adequate training to deal
with people with special needs.

Bhavana is wheelchair-bound, and is unable to speak. When the river
water started flooding her house, her caregiver managed to signal for
a boat to rescue them. But when the team arrived, they realised that
Bhavana would have to be transported in her wheelchair. One of the
members of the rescue team says, “After trying several different
methods, we had to ask her mother and her caregiver to wade through
the water and help carry her on to the boat, since none of us had the
training needed to undertake such an operation.” The fact that
civilian-led rescue teams, even though they meant only good had no
experience to anticipate such situations, compounded rescue efforts.

Amba Salelkar of Inclusive Planet Centre for Disability Law and
Policy, emphasises the need for disaster management policies to ensure
people who are visually or hearing impaired receive warning messages,
and that people with mobility impediments are rescued. Only then will
these policies be comprehensive, she says.

Trapped in the floods

While people in danger were rescued from their homes, a majority of
the city remained indoors for a few days, with telephone lines
failing, no electricity and the streets continuing to be flooded with
water.

Many of the inmates of Vidyasagar were in a similar situation. With no
electricity, and many of the people on wheelchairs, they were all
forced to stay on the third floor of the school building. This dealt a
blow especially to those who got around using electronic wheelchairs,
which could not be charged, due to the prolonged blackout in the area.
As a result, they were unable to even use the toilet without someone
carrying them. Since there were very few caregivers, the situation
became dire.

Medical care for people with special needs also became a problem
during the floods. Ms. Sadasivam herself was stranded in her house
with viral fever. “I have multiple sclerosis, and I am on
immunosuppressants, which means that I cannot take many
over-the-counter medicines,” she explains.

Attempts at rebuilding

Now that much of the water has receded, the focus is on the city and
its people trying to rebuild themselves. K. Manivasan, Commissioner,
Disabilities, government of Tamil Nadu, says, “The government has
ensured that all the camps have a special officer who is taking care
of people with disabilities. Wherever possible, we are issuing
certificates immediately.”

A disaster that was termed as a leveller, in terms of its effect on
people of all social classes, was still a great deal harder on people
with disabilities, who have, in the past, lobbied for better
accessibility in the city. Activists and people with disabilities
alike hope that the floods, disastrous as it was, would jolt the
government into finally taking their cause more seriously.

--
Avinash Shahi