From: "Rajesh Asudani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Geetha Shamanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [AI] Reflections on Becoming Blind

> absolutely well said!!!!!!!!
>
> I am tired of idealism.
>
> Given a choice nobody would prefer to be blind,
admittedly not even the
> lady
> who has written the article inquestion.
> Then, isn't it strange that given a choice and a
reasonable assurance and
> affordability, they say, they would prefer not to
take the advantage of
> becoming sighted-even partially!!
>
> Let us not confuse the things.
>
> It is one thing to live successfully as a blind
person, but it is totally
> another to euphemize it as a state not fraught with
any disadvantages--be
> those disadvantages inherent in the condition or man
made!

> Words like identity, etc. are hollow semantic
phrases. Andd, what is the
> identity of even a fully functioning/productive
blind person in sighted
> world?
>
> Moreover, as said earlier, there is no substitute
for sight, and a fully
> functioning/productive blind person is either a myth
or a rarest of the
> rare
> species who fortunately or accidentally finds
herself or himself bestowed
> with fortune and a field absolutely fitted to
his/her working. Still it
> would be a vocational functionality, and granted
he/she has noble family
> as
> not to make him aware of his shortcomings, still
community would not spare
> him/her the crunch. And, for this, either
family/vocational
> world/community
> is not to be blamed only. Sight is the norm and lack
of it is not, even
> though it is desirable to make it less fraught with
disadvantages either
> by
> human assistance or by technology or sometimes by
reasonable
> modifications.
>
> I am afraid if I have not been able to communicate
clearly.
> I wanted to write on the subject, but did not wish
to stir the hornet's
> nest.
>
> Rajesh
> Rajesh

article, if gene therapy
> is made available and if it guarantees restoration
of sight, I would be
> the
> first one to take it.
> Identity and all that sounds good in the ideal
world.
> Although I have adjusted reasonably well to
blindness, nothing can replace
> the total and absolute independence that sight
grants a person. There is
> simply no substitute for it.
>
> Geetha

forget about our agreed
> etiquette regarding on and off topics and wanted to
express my feelings on
> this one.
>
> I think the whole thing sounds extremely honest and
seem to reflect my own
> experiences of becoming blind from the same
condition. When I reacted
> indifferently to my mom's suggestion that I must
seriously consider gene
> therapy to restore my sight, she was shocked and
couldn't understand how
> such an important thing as getting back my sight
failed to evince a
> serious
> response from me. I told her blindness has become my
identity in the last
> 15
> years and I am not all that comfortable shedding
that identity. I told her
> it offered a fresh and a totally different
perspective to life and so on,
> much on the same lines as Becky has described in her
article, but the
> problem with the so-called able-bodied people is
that they somehow fail to
> see the other side of things.
>
> Also, I don't know how many of you agree with me if
I say this: when we
> are
> blind, the world wants us to follow their weird and
convoluted
> understanding
> of morality. They, for instance, can't digest a
blind person smoking.
> Forget
> about the health implications of smoking or
drinking, but most people
> think
> it is utterly wrong as a habit for a blind person to
smoke, even if he
> enjoys this activity with his sighted friends who
are more than willing to
> light their cigarette for them or pour their drinks.
>
> As a smoker myself until three years ago, I used to
learn from my sighted
> friends that I attracted disgusted looks from
sighted strangers (who
> themselves would have gathered near that Tea shop to
light a cigarette),
> whenever I smoked.
>
> As a teenager losing sight, smoking then was a way
of gaining acceptance
> in
> the mainstream world that never used to treat me on
par. Only after
> realising the serious health implications as a
thirty-something, did I
> ever
> quit smoking and drinking. I am not recommending
this to anyone as ways of
> gaining acceptance into the mainstream world, but am
merely trying to
> point
> out the weirdness in thinking among the able-bodied
individuals in our
> society.
>
> Subramani

Behalf Of LSanjay
> Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 12:03 PM
> To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
> Subject: [AI] Reflections on Becoming Blind
>

>                        Reflections on Becoming Blind
>                             by Rebecca Atkinson
>                                ************
>      From the Editor: On July 17, 2007, the
Guardian, one of the most
> prestigious newspapers in the United Kingdom,
published an essay by a
> woman
> who is losing her sight from retinitis pigmentosa.
In some ways her
> assumptions and experience of blindness depart
startlingly from the
> American, or at least NFB, presumption that a
trained blind person can
> travel as rapidly and cross streets as efficiently
as sighted pedestrians.
> Yet by and large her experience and attitudes are
healthy and articularly
> expressed. This is what she says:
>                                ************
>      Rebecca Atkinson is going blind. An
experimental therapy could offer
> her the chance to see again, but would she take it?
>                                ************
>      Earlier this year doctors at Moorfields Eye
Hospital, London, began
> the world's first gene therapy trials to treat
twelve patients who have
> Leber's congenital amaurosis, a condition that
causes progressive sight
> loss. Following successful animal trials (said to
have restored the vision
> of blind dogs so they could navigate a maze without
difficulty), it is
> hoped that the technique, which involves injecting
working copies of
> faulty
> genes directly into the retina, will prove equally
effective when carried
> out on humans. The results will not be made public
for a year, but, if the
> technique works, scientists hope it could eventually
be used to treat a
> wide range of inherited sight disorders affecting up
to 30,000 visually
> impaired people in the UK and potentially millions
more worldwide.
>      The first viable treatment for blindness is
twinkling on the horizon,
> and, as one reader said on a national newspaper
message board discussing
> the trials, "The possibility of being able to give
improved sight to
> people
> with visual impairments is a great development for
the human race."
>      But what of the people we seek to repair? Those
who have been born
> blind and those, like me, who are losing or have
lost their vision. Is
> this
> what we have been waiting for? Is it "a great
development for the human
> race," or a step forward in the eugenic quest for an
über race, free of
> imperfection and rid of the unease about disability
that nestles quietly
> in
> society's pocket?
>      For the past thirteen years I have been losing
my sight, due to a
> genetic and incurable condition called retinitis
pigmentosa (RP). RP
> causes
> the photoreceptive cells on the retina to die off,
causing, in my case,
> tunnel vision. I liken it to looking at the world
down the middle of two
> toilet rolls. My central vision remains intact, but
where once was
> peripheral vision, now float only my thoughts. In
time these loo rolls
> will
> shrink to knotholes and then pinholes and then
possibly nothing.
>      In the early years after my diagnosis,
blindness remained a repulsive
> and terrifying concept. Every year I would visit the
doctor, and he would
> say the same thing--that I must live and plan my
life with the certainty
> that blindness was inevitable. And so, slowly over
time, that is what I
> learned to do.
>      But now the advent of gene therapy has pushed
open a chink in the
> door. Disabled people have long asked themselves the
hypothetical "would
> you be cured if you could?" question. Now for the
first time there is a
> chance, albeit very small, that maybe one day I
might actually get my
> sight
> back. Hurrah, you cry. I must be thrilled.
>      Actually I am a bit confused. It is easy to
assume that all visually
> impaired people will be hammering down the doors
should gene therapy prove
> successful. But to say this is to assume that a
blind life is lesser and
> that all blind people really want to be sighted.
They don't.
>      The first blind man I ever met, who also
happened to be my boss at
> the time, is one of them. I recently asked him if he
would have gene
> therapy if he could. No, came his reply. Because, he
tells me, regaining
> sight is more than just seeing again. There are
issues of identity and
> culture at stake too. "As the blind-from-birth son
of blind parents, I am,
> in part of my soul, defined by my blindness," he
explains. "It directly
> equates to ethnic or racial origin. If you give a
black person the choice
> to be white, there may well be significant
advantages in such a deal: more
> access to better jobs; freedom from the shackles of
ignorant prejudice; in
> short, a step closer to equality. But I'd bet most
would turn the offer
> down flat."
>      But what if, unlike my old boss, you haven't
always been blind? What
> if, like me, you grew up with full vision and have
seen all the cliché-
> ridden things that those born totally blind are
pitied for never having
> seen--the sunset, your own reflection, the look in
your lover's eyes. What
> if your soul is sighted, and then you go blind? You
will cry and wonder
> why. You will hope and pray. You will wish it would
all go away. But the
> longer your sight has been on the slide, the more it
seeps into every
> crack
> of your psyche until one day you are no longer the
"sighted person" who
> can't see anymore. Somehow, strangely, in the dead
of night your identity
> has rolled over in bed, and you wake up and get out
the other side a
> "visually impaired person," and it feels like part
of you.
>      It doesn't happen overnight, and perhaps it
doesn't happen to all who
> sail the strange seas of sight loss with me. But for
me there came a point
> when impending blindness was no longer my alien, but
my friend. I had had
> my time as a sighted person. I had seen the world
through my eyes. Now it
> was time to touch it and smell it and hear it. When
you lose your vision,
> you have to relearn the sorts of things that will
allow you to survive on
> the planet, such as crossing the road without being
flattened. Next you
> must tackle the real problem and learn to deal with
the attitudes of
> others
> as they morph around you. Misconceptions start to
spout from even your
> oldest friends' mouths because negative attitudes
about blindness permeate
> us all. You are about to cross over into the dark
side and see what
> wriggles and writhes on the underbelly of society.
Folk will see you as
> the
> sufferer, the pitiful, the afflicted, the
subhuman--that's you, yes, you.
> If you use a cane or a dog, people will stare as you
walk down the street.
> People will assume you are more lacking in
intelligence than your sighted
> counterpart. People you have never met before will
ask if you want
> children, and if you do, they will ask if the kids
will have the same
> condition that you have, and whether that is right
or wrong. Welcome. Your
> reproductive autonomy is in the docks of the moral
courts of the nation's
> minds.
>      So if this underbelly is so wretched, surely if
the time comes when
> the doctors are looming forth with a needle
containing the working version
> of my faulty gene and heralding the promise of a new
day, one with a
> bright
> sunset and me at the wheel of a fast car, I'll take
it, right? Anything to
> escape? No.
>      Saying yes to seeing again, even for someone
who wasn't born blind,
> isn't easy. The repercussions would ripple beyond my
eyes into my
> friendships, my work, my relationship. Would I
retain the unity I have
> with
> my disabled brethren if I could see? Or would I have
different friends,
> the
> type who fall by the wayside now because they are
not aware or empathetic,
> or are too aesthetically obsessed? Would I lose the
friends with whom I
> have nothing in common but who remain in my phone
book because they get
> the
> blindness thing? And would it be right to dump them
just because I can see
> and don't need their empathy anymore? If I stepped
into the pool of
> "normal
> people" again, where would my identity go? The
kernel of who I am has been
> sucked into a new body; now it would have to be
sucked back into the old
> one. And what of my relationship? Would we stay
together, or would I run
> off to do all the things I never got to do before?
There is a high rate of
> separation among couples where one person gets a
guide dog for the first
> time. Why? Because suddenly they can do things on
their own again. This
> new-
> found independence shifts the balance and cracks
appear. If this can
> happen
> with a dog, think what could happen with a pair of
fully working eyes and
> car.
>      Going blind isn't a smooth ride, though. It
comes down and squishes
> you under an insurmountable weight of grief and
disbelief. It is limiting
> and frustrating and changes the way you do many of
the things you used to
> enjoy--now you must dance with the light on and
drive from the back seat.
> But like the affirmation of near death, it affects
more than just your
> physicality. It gives you a unique perspective. It
is a grand experiment
> that most don't get to try: to observe as your brain
rewires and watch as
> the human body adapts in infinite ways. When my
vision began to get worse,
> I bumped into everything in my path because I was
still careering down the
> pavement at the speed of someone who could see. As
my mind caught up with
> my eyes, I changed the way I walked, with more
caution and less speed, and
> the perpetual bumping and tripping stopped. Losing
your sight is not like
> just shutting your eyes.
>      The loss is so gradual that, as one sense dies,
others grow. Suddenly
> you can smell the world and sense when someone is
standing out of your
> line
> of vision. Your brain grows on the inside, and
things on the outside start
> to matter less. I get to live my life twice over, in
two different bodies
> (the sighted one I used to have and the partially
sighted one I now have),
> and with that comes the privilege of spying on the
world and its
> intricacies from multiple vantage points. It's a
cliché to say that
> disabled people are nicer. It is incorrect, in fact.
But for me vision
> loss
> has made me more empathetic and more openminded. I
have to take so often
> that I give more freely. When you rely on friends to
take you down Oxford
> Street or a stranger to get you across the road, you
think more
> consciously
> about what you give back and battle with the feeling
that you need them
> more than they need you.
>      But, strangely, I am happier like this than if
I had carried on down
> the middle lane to mediocre city, never having seen
or felt real loss and
> known how to appreciate the good things around me. I
have met people I
> would never have met had I been sighted, and we have
been joined together
> by the common bond of disability (and there is no
glue that sets as hard
> as
> that squeezed from the pores of a minority). When
part of your body starts
> to die, you feel what it is to be human. You wake up
from the slumber of
> being just another idiot with an iPod because you
are forced to work out
> the bigger questions. Or at least ask them. Why am I
here? Why is this
> happening? You are alert to the immediacy and
fragility of your life. You
> know that the choices of the modern age do not and
can not extend into
> every realm of your life. You can't choose to see
(at least not yet). This
> is it. The upshot? You live in the moment. You
settle for your lot and
> love
> it.
>      The concept of sight loss as a positive thing
is an elusive one. It
> is hard to grasp when you have experienced it, and
even harder to grasp
> when you haven't. It is not something I would have
chosen, but it is not
> something I wish hadn't happened.
>      Would I like to stop it getting worse? Yes,
because I'm only human
> and, sometimes I lie awake worrying how I'll cope
when it's all gone. But
> would I like to have gene therapy and see perfectly
again? Five years ago
> I'd have said yes. Now I'm not sure, because if this
experiment of going
> blind has taught me anything, it is that what you
lose in one place, you
> gain elsewhere, and while a blind life is different
from a sighted life,
> it
> is not lesser. And ultimately it is better than
having no life at all.
> To unsubscribe send a message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> with