unfortunately, while designing accessibility companies don't ask or take suggestions from end users before designing. accessibility is our right and we must fight jointly.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Amar Jain" <amarj...@amarjain.com>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2016 2:05 PM
Subject: [AI] HDFC's Talking ATM Implementation: my experience

Dear All,

As most of us are aware that the Reserve Bank of India (the "RBI" ) in
July 2014 made it mandatory for banks to have 25% of their ATMs enabled
for talking prompts so that blind customers among others can use ATM
services independently. Sharing below my experience with HDFC Bank Limited
(the "Bank" ) so far.

1. Braille Enabled ATM Card

The Bank has put in a special card infrastructure in order for the Bank's
customers to use this facility. In order for the Bank's ATMs to provide
talking prompts, the customer is required to request for a Braille enabled
ATM card.

The card has no special features, other than a code to which the card is
mapped so that the machine can detect that this card requires talking
prompts.

Due to lack of awareness about this product in the Bank, you may need to
write to Managing Director, so that the senior management can help you get
this card smoothly. The e-mail address is: managingdirec...@hdfcbank.com
You willl be required to fill an e-edge form, for requesting this card,
and the special card code will be mentioned on the form. Due to
confidentiality reasons, that cannot be disclosed in a public domain.

2. Activation and Services

Once you get the card, you will be required to activate the same using a 4
digit PIN. At the moment, my experience suggests that the card is not
configured to activate using the one time password sent on your mobile.

The card gives you Language Selection options between Hindi and English.
Not all the services are enabled for talking prompts. In my experience,
only Balance Enquiry, PIN Change, Cash Withdrawal, are some of the
services which constitutes part of basic banking are enabled for talking
prompts.

3. Some Observations

From the Bank sources, I understand that approximately 10000 ATMs are
configured for this service. However, I have no official confirmation for
the same. Apart from the same, I have following observations on the
implementation:

A. No security measures: the ATMs have no security measures such as
dimming the screen, or ensuring that the audio is played only when the
headphone is plugged in. This makes it slightly less secured.

B. No prompts for Input and Errors: No prompts are provided while keying
in the digits such as on the amount screen. However, it is helpful to note
that at the same time no prompt is given while entering the PIN.

Also, in my experience, some prompts are not provided for error screens
such as 'card is invalid' if you try to insert a card, which is closed due
to wrongly entered PIN / OTP after a number of attempts.

C. Non-bank Customers Deprived: like most of the other banks, the non-bank
customers i.e. those who do not have a HDFC account cannot make use of
this network which deprives such customers from using ATM network of the
Bank.

Over all, while it is good to see that for compliance, a step is taken,
but a lot is yet to be done.

Note: the entire write-up is based on my personal observations and
experience.

Regards,
Amar Jain