Great narrative! Enjoyed reading it!

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
vamshi vamshi
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:00 AM
To: accessindia
Subject: [AI] Independent tour: Sikkim tour with Bat Travels!

Dear friends,

I had just taken one more step in the direction of independent living for
blind, a tour  alone to Sikkim, Indochina border with Bat travels.  Now I am in
euphoria for not just completing my first tour alone, but finding a new way of
happy living with  new bunch of friends!

I took off alone from Banglore airport having all the apprehensions as it was
my first time tour without family, friends or known people.  How should I find
the cab at Bagdogra airport? What if other sighted tourists are not ready to
help me? Will I be left out on a few spots on the tour?  How will I have lunch
in a new place?  What if I need to go to wash room?  What if other sighted
tourists are not interested in talking to me?  Will it be risky to depend
purely on my white cane in hilly places?  Will I enjoy the picturesque beauty
of Sikkim as a blind tourist?  Many more like this.  But then, I thought its
worth giving a try.  After all, life is all about trying things new.  Isn’t it?

Day 0
Getting bonded
All the group of 8     arrived at Bagdogra airport. Two of us were blind and
others being sighted.   Pleasant surprise was that Bat Travel team of Divya and
Ritu were there a day in advance to receive us!  Couple of hours after
introductions, we found ourselves cracking jokes at each others and pulling
each others legs.  We started to Gangtok comfortably seated in two SUVs, good
old bollywood music playing and I humming some  songs , more to show that I
knew them than to sing well (smile).  River Teesta was along side us as if was
showing us the way.   A river is the best friend for blind in nature as it
makes sound to  make us feel it.  Bat Travel team was describing the nature
around us, the size and shape of trees, height of mountains, how far and low
is the river, the depth of valley, colour of monkeys, a fox that we sighted
etc.  It was as good as seeing everything.  By the night, we checked into the
hotel at Gangtok and rested after dinner.  And yes, each blind was accompanied
by a sighted in the room to orient us.

Day 1
We enjoyed a water fall, Sprinkled water on each other and had a few snaps
taken.  Then we went to Enchey monastery, with Divya or Ritu describing
sculpture and paintings in detail, even letting us have a tactile feel of the
Buddhist sculpture, rare leaves, flowers etc.  Contrary to our personalities
and the tour, we remained  silent in praying before lord Buddha with a monk
chanting beside us.  After that, was the time for the most exciting part of the
tour, a rope slide between two mountain clifs, with a water fall beside us and
water flowing below  us!  A part of me was hesitant but the stubborn side of me
wanted to do it.  I was carefully guided to the clif and was explained how it
would be functioning.  Even the staff there ensured all safety measures. But
still, to be harnessed to a rope, and sliding from one clif to another  by
holding the  rope was one heck of an experience!  They even stop in the middle
where we can leave the rope and wave in the air.  At that moment, it was a
sense of achievement to think, what if I can’t do certain things like sighted,
here I am doing an adventure which many sighted wouldn’t have done!  After
having a Sikkimmese lunch with pasta, bamboo shoots, etc., we returned and
rested at hotel.

Day 2
Time to touch China!  Natulla pass!  14,000 feet height!
It was all the more tantalizing when we had to wait twice for permits to reach
there.   With every passing mile up, the temperature kept dropping and air
freezing.  I deliberately refrained from wearing jacket till we reached there
to see how it will be like, but only to loose the battle with the weather as by
then my hands also started paining.   It was a hike to the top, with either of
the bat travel buddies or  sighted friend holding one hand and my white cane in
the other.  There were steps, treacherous passes, snow passes, other tourists
and what not, but it was a great experience to use the white cane at such a
place and reach the peak.  We could see Chinese buildings, flags at the other
end.  My impish side got better of me as I poked my cane beyond Indian border
and was duly cautioned by the army person against it.  After saluting the army
friends, on our way down, we had hot tea, jilebi and popcorn.  We had a few
pics and shouted Jayho to India at the border!  On our way down, we stopped at
beautiful Tsomgo lake to have a yak ride.  Ritu went so far to walk ahead of
me, or rather the yak to take a video of my ride.

Day 3
From east to west of Sikkim.
We visited Temi  tea gardens on the way to west of Sikkim.  It was planned that
we will have lunch in the middle of tea bushes!  But nature had different plans
as it rained.  However, it was no less an experience with having lunch at top
of a building of 50 feet height with the entire tea garden below us, mountains
around us and clouds along side!  We visited the factory and got the entire
process of producing tea explained.  We even handled one or two machines to get
hands on.  Then we proceeded to Okhrey, visiting the golden colour 130 feet
statue of Lord Buddha on the way.

Day 4
Wooden Home stay in a Sikkimmese village, and disability etiquette of a village
boy
Putting up on second  floor of the wooden building was a rare experience.  A
few humming birds woke us up in the morning.  We argued amongst ourselves for
guessing the name of  the bird that is humming, obviously with no one knowing
it correctly!  It was a loving family that served homely food in the village.
Then we went through a forest trail, and I have met a special person.  Ashish,
a twelve year boy.  He kept all others away from me and guided me all the way
through the trail across patchy ways, streams, rocks, trees etc.  He went so
far to step on the ground ahead to check the firmness  and then place my cane.
After sometime, he took the cane away from me saying the path is smooth and my
hand would pain for holding it for long time.  I took the risk of giving up the
cane and prepared for an  injury for the love and concern he had for me, but
his confidence took me through.  I thought Corporates and governments need to
be sensitized with prolonged campaigns and agetations, but a village boy from a
north eastern village just had the right attitude towards a blind whom he met
for the first time.  Hatss off to him!  The day ended with a Sikkimmese music
and dance performance, again with Divya and Ritu describing the steps.  I even
tried my hands on the instrument and Sikkimmese dance, which was followed by
Anthakshiri sitting around bond fire.

Day 5
Good bye Sikkim
I travelled all the day, in a car to Bagdogra airport, in  flight to Chennai,
RTC bus to tirupati, and finally a auto rikshaw at 1 in the night to my home.
See? I am confident of independent travel!

Follow up
I received all my pics and videos taken with detailed description as to who are
all there, our poses and  the background.  Isn’t it inclusive tourism at its
best?

About Bat Travels; Ritu and Divya
It requires great passionate hearts to give up jobs and start something like
Bat Travels.  And great professional minds to run it.  But their uniqueness
Lies in the fact that they get sighted tourists on board with blind after duly
sensitizing them about blind etiquette.  See how a village boy from north
eastern village helped a blind man from tirupati to have a life time memory!
It was my first innings with the “Bat”.  And given my experience, I will surely
have more, and longer innings with them.  Would surely recommend to all my
friends, blind or sighted, to go with bat Travels!

--
G. Vamshi
Mobile: +91 9949349497

WWW.VIBEWA.ORG