Hello aparna!

Hearty thanks for sharing my concern and also for your idea which I intend to
try when I am in the company of some sighted friend who uses iPhone.
Incidentally, I did try with Siri; but not quite the way you are suggesting.
Earlier on, when face with a similar situation, among other things, I had also
asked siri to activate Voiceover on my phone after  disconnecting a whatsapp
call. It obliged me on a couple of occasions; but later, it started throwing up
tantrums; it would just keep quiet after receiving my command.

Last evening, after some experimentation with the help of my daughter who is in
New York, I have discovered that for now, the following steps do work for me:

1.      connect the device with earphone or headphone.

2.      Make a whatsapp call.

3.      While the call is on, deactivate Voiceover by pressing the Home key
thrice.

4.      On conclusion of the call, ask the other person to disconnect the call
as you can not locate the disconnect button since the Voiceover is off.

5.      after the other person disconnects the call, reactivate Voiceover by
pressing the home key thrice and you will see  voiceover will speak in your
ears though in a feeble voice.

6.      thereafter, use the Homekey to switch whatsapp by pressing it twice.

7.      now the voiceover resumes functioning normally.
Earlier, I had tried almost  all kinds of tricks which a layperson can possibly
conceive of, including those that have been lately  suggested to me through the
social media. However, for now, it seems this trick works best for me  so far.

Prasanna Kumar Pincha

Former Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities,

Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment,

govt. of India, New Delhi.

Former chairperson

National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental
Retardation, and Multiple Disabilities,