Hi friends:

Have made a blogpost from an excerpt of the memoir I’m working on.
Please read and give me your valuable feedback.

My tryst with blindness: As a child, I was bullied for wearing eye glasses

The neighborhood school where I studied, amidst the chaos of the
vegetable market nearby and the peal of bells from the temple opposite
the building, was as noisy as the scene outside. Kids ran
helter-skelter, teachers had a hard time shouting over the babble of
little voices. It wasn’t the kind of atmosphere for learning. As a
nine-year-old, I didn’t care much.
I escaped the teacher’s censure by scoring just enough marks, made
fewer friends and frequently found myself in the middle of bullies who
teased me about my spectacle. Being the only guy in the class with eye
glasses meant that I stood out and the bullies had no troubles picking
me out.
The fact that I wore eye glasses must’ve had a deeper effect than I
could figure, because I didn’t reach out and make friends despite
being gregarious as a child growing up in a large family. I was mostly
reticent and considered weird given my strange interest in the news
headlines the teacher read out in the morning assembly, about the only
thing that grabbed my interest.
“I watch your sorry face light up. Is the useless junk in the papers
so interesting? Who do you take yourself for? Some kind of a
newsreader? Oh look at him man, all blushing…” It was Jaikumar,
resident of Jambrathottam, the market area where we were warned not to
enter because it was often the flashpoint for gang wars. We never knew
what ‘gang wars’ were, but followed the orders.

https://grapplingwithrp.wordpress.com/2020/02/05/my-tryst-with-blindness-as-a-child-i-was-bullied-for-wearing-eye-glasses/