The bitter fact is that we, the disabled, aren't a votebank; hence we
will be on nobody's priority list.
However, another fact which we all must clearly understand is that we
can achieve anything only via negotiations as we fail to make any
electoral impact.
Yes, the government must be made aware about the issues of the
disabled, but I vehemently disagree from the stand of NPRD as since
the beginning of 2014, I haven't found this organization ever praising
the government for anything.
This proves that they work with a partisan agenda and have nefarious designs.
I can prove my point by pointing to the selective mails of NPRD posted here.
We mustn't forget that the government of India has not only provided
free ration for many months to the needy disabled but has also given
ten months exemption to the disabled employees working with the
central government.
So, we must stick to our demands and have no compromise on the welfare
of our community, but on the other hand we must also be aware about
insidious groups trying to push their ideological propaganda in the
name of disability activism.

On 2/1/21, anirudh rao <personalanir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes this has been the long demand.
> but, nothing can be accepted from the government that speaks much and acts
> less.
>
> On 2/1/21, Tanmay Srivastava <tanmaysri1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> According to me now disability is not the subject of welfare.
>>
>> Now it should not be the part of ministry of social justice and
>> empowerment.
>>
>> It is the high time to make aware the government that government should
>> create separate ministry for the empowerment of people with disabilities.
>>
>> Looking forward to everyone's response.
>>
>> On Mon 1 Feb, 2021, 4:26 PM National Platform For The Rights of the
>> Disabled, <nprd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> February 1, 2021
>>>

>>> *Press Statement*
>>>

>>> The National Platform for the Rights of the Disabled (NPRD) has issued
>>> the
>>> following statement:
>>>

>>> *Union Budget: Disabled Cold Shouldered*
>>>

>>> The NPRD lodges its strong protest at the substantial reduction in
>>> budgetary support to the Department of Empowerment of Persons with
>>> Disabilities. Even the meagre and inadequate Rs. 1325.39 estimated last
>>> time, has been further reduced to Rs. 1171.77 crores this time.
>>>

>>> This substantial reduction of nearly 12 per cent will adversely impact
>>> various schemes and programmes that are being undertaken by the
>>> department. The
>>> “Scheme for Implementation for Persons with Disabilities Act” sees a cut
>>> in
>>> its allocation from Rs. 251.50 to Rs. 209.77 crores. The National Trust
>>> which caters to persons with autism, cerebral palsy, intellectual
>>> disabilities etc. is also witnessing lesser budgetary support. It has
>>> been reduced from Rs. 39.50 to Rs. 30.00 crore. Even allocations to the
>>> National Programme for Prevention of Blindness have been reduced by
>>> nearly
>>> 50 per cent from Rs. 20.00 to Rs. 10.50 crores as compared to last year.
>>> Grant in aid to state governments have also been reduced substantially.
>>>

>>> When more disabled people are joining the ranks of the unemployed, it
>>> would have been prudent to enhance allocations for the National
>>> Handicapped
>>> Finance and Development Corporation, to enable it to provide loans to
>>> small
>>> businesses set up by disabled people. On the contrary budgetary support
>>> the NHFDC has been drastically reduced from Rs. 41 crore provisioned in
>>> the
>>> 2019-20 budget to a mere Rs. 0.01 crore this time. The announcements

--
Avichal Bhatnagar
Assistant Professor at

Doctoral research scholar at
School of Humanities,
Delhi Technological University (formerly Delhi College of Engineering)