I wrote in the Hindu recently, on how India can use its significant

success in the Paralympic Games this time as an opportunity to

reorient its approach towards its disabled citizens. The article is

here:

https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/making-the-paralympics-count/article3
6208592.ece

The article is behind a Paywall. For ease of access, I am pasting the text
of the article

below this mail.

"Making the Paralympics count

This is a chance to improve the conditions for the disabled pursuing

sports and to refresh the way we view disability

Rahul Bajaj

August 30 was a big day for India at the Paralympics. The country won

five medals, including two gold, bettering the Rio 2016 contingent's

haul in just

a day. Indians with disabilities, like all Indians, are proud of these

achievements. This presents an opportune moment to reflect on how we

can make the

Paralympics truly count for India.

The Paralympics is a unique opportunity to empower the disabled. It

offers everyone the chance to watch disabled bodies in action and to

find commonality

with them in the shared desire for national success. Sustained media

attention ensures that athletes with disabilities capture the public

imagination in

an unprecedented way.

Discourse around the disabled

In India, persons with disabilities find it extraordinarily difficult

to live a life of equal productivity and dignity as their able-bodied

counterparts.

The discourse around their status as Divyang - persons with divine

bodies - fuels their alienation. Instead of viewing the disabled as

ordinary individuals

who require additional support to meet their unique needs, this

language places them on a different pedestal and presents them as

being endowed with supernatural

powers. Rather than engaging with them in meaningful, constructive

ways, many people either make a person's disability their focal point,

stripping away

their multi-layered identity, or ignore their additional challenges

altogether. Stereotypes and unfounded biases about the disabled's

incompetence, inability

to make informed choices and asexuality, amongst others, are still

alive and kicking.

It is no surprise, then, that engaging in recreational activities like

sports is rarely on the minds of disabled people. Even those disabled

persons who

wish to undertake such activities face formidable obstacles.

Mainstream schools, parks, colleges and swimming pools do not provide

a conducive environment

for them. Arguments about complications and causing inconvenience to

others are commonly made to deny access. As a blind person myself, I

remember being

turned down by a swimming pool in Delhi when I approached them with a

wish to pursue swimming classes. The reason? They had received

complaints from female

swimmers about unsolicited contact in the pool and felt that having a

blind person in the pool could get them into trouble. One doesn't have

to be a Paralympian

to enjoy the benefits of sports. Recreational sports can help build

identity, confidence and a healthy relationship with one's own body.

This is what many

disabled people miss out on.

Disabled people with more ambitious sporting aspirations often enter

into exploitative coaching relationships and navigate a complicated

and unfriendly

sports governance framework. This state of affairs is particularly

troubling as Section 30 of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

Act, 2016, requires

appropriate governments and sporting authorities to measures to

improve access to meaningful sporting opportunities for the disabled.

These include redesigning

infrastructural facilities and providing multisensory essentials and

features in all sporting activities to make them more accessible.

For India, the success in these Paralympics will be truly meaningful

only if it prompts introspection and reorientation. At the systemic

level, this has

to cover governance reforms in the Paralympic Committee of India. The

Committee is now headed by a medal-winning former Paralympian, Deepa

Malik. The Union

Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs brought parity to the cash

rewards structure for medal-winning Paralympians placing them on equal

footing with their

able-bodied counterparts at the Olympics. These are steps in the right

direction.

An opportunity for everyone

To deliver the value of sport more inclusively, satellite television

providers and sports broadcasters must take steps that enable the

disabled to watch

and participate in sporting activities. Further, pictures of the

Paralympics in electronic media and on social media must be

accompanied by image descriptions

for the visually challenged. At the individual level, everyone can

view athletes with disabilities in a holistic sense while also

acknowledging their additional

challenges and striving to create more opportunities for the disabled

people in our lives so they can participate in all walks of life.

It is easy to admire the courage of our para-athletes from afar. It is

much harder to use these Games as an opportunity to do our bit to

change things,

to ensure that we are regularly surrounded by such competent and

driven disabled people who are given the additional support they need

to thrive. With

intent, resolve and action, we can make the Paralympics count for

India not just on the medal table but in the everyday.

Rahul Bajaj, a Rhodes Scholar, is a Senior Resident Fellow at the

Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy"

Rahul