Hello,
I agree with the discussion that is going on here, as it is an important
issue.
Few months ago, I went to a barber very near to my home.
I am reasonably good with mobility and could manage to reach the shop.
However, while returning, I was walking, for no reason a dog started
barking and growling at me probably because of the cane in my hand and so
did the other dogs.
I am no animal expert but, if dogs feel threatened because  they feel that
you have a weapon in your hand, they either run or become aggressive.
Animal lovers have silly tips like don't try to run away when dogs are
barking at you and whatever.
In my case at-least, all the logic goes and I really get afraid.
I yelled for help, fortunately I was near the society so, the watchman
quickly came and scared them.
However, this gave him a chance to scold me for coming alone on a road
which is almost safe as cars slow down on it and you can easily walk by the
sides.
This as usual, is an India specific problem more as, in the US there are
almost no street dogs and only cats which is still fine.
This hampers the blind person's independence as the last thing you want is
to be hunted by a group of dogs.
This also gives conservative people another chance to say that blind people
should not walk on the streets.

Regards,
Saurav Hegde