Dear friends,

Greetings from Rising Flame!

Did you read fairy tales growing up? Did you find women with disabilities in
them? Did the disabled characters have a happily ever after? Or were they
villains or comic reliefs?

We brought together 13 disabled women to rewrite fairy tales and we put it
together in an anthology. It has been published by HarperCollins now!

>From the blurb:

Meet a deaf Snow White, a wheelchair-using Rapunzel, a neurodivergent Ugly
Duckling.

In a world where fairy tales usually demonise characters who live with a
disability, these and other fairy-tale characters challenge our understanding
of the people around us. The authors of this collection seek to retell classic
stories by weaving in their own everyday experiences - the struggles, joys, and
frustrations that may not be known to the non-disabled.

<https://twitter.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7784ab4f64e8189cd3d7b97df&id=77cd6bb76e&e=b1b4256e00>
 And They Lived ... Ever After grew out of a programme organised by Rising
Flame, an award-winning non-profit that seeks to build an inclusive world in
which diverse bodies, minds, and voices thrive with dignity and live free of
discrimination, abuse, and violence. This book is every bit as enchanting as it
is important.

About the Process:

In 2020 I translated a thought, a concept into the '
<https://twitter.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7784ab4f64e8189cd3d7b97df&id=168fca59fa&e=b1b4256e00>
 My Tale Too programme'. Here we brought together disabled women to a writing
workshop by
<https://twitter.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7784ab4f64e8189cd3d7b97df&id=36afd69443&e=b1b4256e00>
 Aditi Rao, to re-author and craft stories. These stories were then edited by
<https://twitter.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7784ab4f64e8189cd3d7b97df&id=17789a04f7&e=b1b4256e00>
 Richa Kaul Padte. The entire process was held together by our very own
Srinidhi Raghavan. These stories have found a home in Harper Collins India, and
now after a few years (or a blink), we have a real book.

Our authors include Indian & Sri Lankan women who are lawyers, professors,
educators, and social entrepreneurs with a diverse range of disabilities like
deafness, blindness, autism, and psychosocial disabilities, etc. They re-write
stories like The Ugly Duckling, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Snow White, Pinocchio,
Little Red Riding Hood & Rumpelstiltskin.

As women with disabilities reauthoring these stories, we see the everyday
reality of persons with disabilities reflected in these fairy-tale worlds; all
while we see disabled women dreaming and living their lives, their experiences
of rejection and resilience, their wisdom of innovating and courage of altering
lives around them, and finding ways of healing and thriving. We have put
together a book that we wished we had while growing up, a book we want to gift,
and something that we will treasure on our bookshelves. This book is not just
for kids and young adults, but for each one of us who has felt different,
awkward, judged, or alone in moments, in dialogues, and in stories.

You can order the book on Amazon, kindle, or grab it at a book store near you.
We encourage you to read the stories that should have been written many years
ago, make them part of your teachings & writings, and just enjoy with a cup of
chai.

Warm Regards,

Nidhi Goyal

Founder and Executive Director