NVDA is a rapidly developing screen reader. On a general note, it
works with applications that support APIs such as Iaccessible2, Java
access bridge, UI automation and Microsoft active accessibility.
Specifically, it supports Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, (both versions
3 and up recommended), Basic support for Microsoft office, good
support for internet explorer, Adobe reader, and so on.
It's voice, as far as I am concerned, is rather unnice on the ear;
Espeak is the synthesizer used although you can choose various others.
The developers are quite responsive, so if you find any problem, you
have someone to hear you...
Hope this helps,
Regards Ravi Paul