Hi,

Yes, there have been significant improvements in NVDA.

The developers have been working heavily with IAccessible2 accessibility API.
This makes OpenOffice quite accessible. IBM Lotus Symphony (another free office
package) is also supported by NVDA.
NVDA developers have found an innovative method to deal with flash and java
applets.
NVDA also works very well with Java based applications.
It also allows you to navigate with the mouse; instead of treating it has a
useless device. The speech and sound feedback available while using the mouse
has a huge potential of being useful with the optional touch screen interface
of Windows 7.
Although it is difficult to understand eSpeak synthesizer, it pronounces most
of the Indian names correctly.

Regards

“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about
human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely
destructive. We've created life in our own image.”
~ Stephen Hawking