All:

A recent episode of Future Tense described netbooks as under-powered and lacking essential components. They further explain that the typical netbook just doesn't have the ability to perform the tasks needed by the average user in some critical ways. They say that to many compromises have been made to accomodate the small size and low cost. I might still have the mp3 of that show if anyone wants it. I found it quite enlightening as at the time, I was considering purchasing a netbook and decided against it partly due to the information in this program.

Instead, I purchased a bluetooth keyboard for my cell phone, and while it certainly doesn't replace what a netbook might be able to do, I find it does most things I need if I am traveling without my laptop. Although my phone is certainly not the latest and greatest, (they become obsolete the day you buy them), anyone considering a netbook could also look at a high-end cell phone that would give even more portability and depending on what you need, just as much functionality.

Just my thoughts,

Jean