From: chetan sharma <chetansha...@obc.co.in>
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Sent: Fri, 30 July, 2010 4:51:56 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] SBI launches special service for visually handicapped

I fully  appreciate the spirit  behind this initiative. But,

To me at least, It does not sound promising. Even if this centre functions
properly, there remains a possibility that a Visually impaired person, who
approaches to some SBI branch Say in Rohini,  Dwarika or at any other place
in Delhi, is  directed to the Self service Banking centre under the pretext
that because  there is a special centre for visually challenged,  other
branches will not cater to their banking needs. I think,  Instead of opening
special centre or starting special services, they should concentrate on
making their main stream services more  accessible.  staff of SBI might
take a stand that since there is a special centre for visually challenged,
all the banking need of visually impaired persons will be addressed through
this centre only and they should not approach other branches and outlets of
SBI. In my opinion, Probably, it will create more problems than it solves.
perhaps,  Such stuff is good to be  in media only. Despite my inclination to
do so,  my limited comprehension does not foresee any considerable
advantages of this centre  to the target group.

Regards,

Chetan Sharma,
Oriental Bank of commerce,
Jaipur