If you take someone's arm to cross a road for example, you are agreeing that
for whatever reason, vision is needed to do the task.  Having made that
decision then, you have chosen to rely on another's judgment for both of your
safety.  This is a tricky thing because on one hand we are saying we want
someone's help but it is vital that we remain in control of our own self as
much as possible.  If I am using my cane properly and I step in a whole that's
my responsibility.  If we are using a cane correctly it's not fair to make
someone else responsible for the whereabouts of our feet. You are correct that
we can not endanger someone else's life due to our own neglegence or
inattentiveness.  But at the same time I say that, the two times when I have
come the closest to being hit by a vehicle were both with sighted people.  So
ultimately, we have to take responsibility for ourselves.

The "sighted guide" technique of walking with a sighted person has another
aspect besides giving us the ability to disengage from that person should it
become necessary.  If you walk with a person taking their arm, the sighted
person is a half step before you.  This way you get all sorts of indications
about turns, steps, doorways etc.  You can easily respond to the subtle signals
given by the guide in this way clearing the way for meaningful conversation if
desired rather than the all-to-often well-meant but unnecessary verbalization
of the obvious which is so often the case when walking with the sighted.  The
reality of these situations also is that the decisions and actions surrounding
them take place in an instant without the luxury of time for contemplation and
philosophical debate!

Jean
disability bill at: