hi, thanks for the valuable inputs.
basically my desk top is infected .. fortunely i've laptop to work on.
i'm told  to format it and for that take backup.
now that most of you are suggesting external disk to backup wouldn't
the infected files go in it and when i copy them back on my formated
system  the infection too will come along? how to resolve this?
btw i need a free reliable anti virus for windows xp. give me the
direct link to download.
thanks it is really urgent!