From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of YADAV, D. N
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 11:47 AM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Tips to manage without escort?

Mobility with 'fixed escort' or without one with your cane/no cane is like
moving in a familiar world of your own & another unfamiliar to you.  White cane
can only be a safety tool to prevent your near fall but not a guide as u have
to ask directions from others despite your cane.

Recently I had been to a training programme from my office in different
location.  There everybody (as is vogue today) held his plate in one hand, put
things of 5-6 types by his other & then took to eating on standing tables
during lunch.  I had to fumble my way to the queue starting with the plate
point, often getting somebody to fill up with edibles & helping me to the
standing table.  Where I could answer & raise questions with confidence during
our faculty lectures, I felt my confidence was badly shaken in lunch place only
depending on others to feed me with their help.  Even the lunch place was
hundreds of metres away from training ground where reaching could be more than
mere fumbling for the place.  In such scenario, as often it is with a blind
person alone, I always think a fixed escort if you could have it, would be the
best option.  Your confidence level is very high, you feel at par with your
colleagues & have your own world to enjoy without any dependence on new persons
for your pleasure of choice.  It could be really very harassing asking for help
everyone for your needs & feeling bad when society fails to help you in time.

This Message was sent from Indian Oil   Messaging Gateway, Refineries HQ, New
Delhi, India. The information contained in this electronic message and any
addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and
Register for AccessIndia convention 2011(November 12-13)  at:
http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm

received this email by error,  please notify us by return e-mail or telephone
viruses. The Reserve Bank of India  accepts no liability for any damage caused
by any virus transmitted by this email.