Hi friends!
Pasting below some facts about hypnotism.

Facts you should know about hypnosis and hypnotherapy

The information that follows was provided by Dr. Robert G. Dean who
has a Ph.D. in clinical hypnotherapy and is certified by the American
Board of Hypnotherapy as a Hypnotherapist, and certified by the
Hypnotists Union, Local 472 (OPEIU, AFL/CIO) Board of Examiners as a
Master Hypnotist and Certified Union Hypnotherapist. Now for the
facts:

There are many misconceptions and superstitious beliefs regarding
hypnosis. Whenever hypnosis is used in a clinical application or for
entertainment, it attracts attention. The result is a commentary from
two different groups of people. The first group of people are
professionally knowledgeable about human behavior (psychologists,
hypnotherapists, counseling therapists, and mental health care
providers). The second group of people are those who are ignorant and
mislead by the belief system of unknowing, misguided and superstitious
people.

There are several schools of thought by clinicians as to what hypnosis
is and its appropriate application for therapy purposes
(hypnotherapy). However, most all clinicians trained in behavior
modification science and/or the study of human behavior (psychology)
have agreed that the phenomenon of hypnosis is one or more of the
following descriptions:

Hypnosis is an altered state of mind. When I say an altered state of
mind, the mind set is altered similar to how a day dream or nocturnal
dream alters the state of ones mind when they are day dreaming or
dreaming while asleep. To prove this, consider the time when you
watched a scene in a movie which was very sad. You felt the emotion of
sadness. Tears came to your eyes. Why did you feel so sad that it
caused tears to form in your eyes? Let's examine that. You simply were
watching a movie. The scene in the movie was not real. It was acted
out by an actor. Nevertheless, you felt sad and wept while watching
the scene. What happened is the implied suggestions of sadness in the
movie scene bypassed your conscious mind and entered your subconscious
mind which created an altered state of consciousness. While in this
altered state of consciousness, which we call hypnosis, the suggestion
of sadness (portrayed and implied by the actor) was accepted by your
subconscious mind, which in turn caused you to feel sad and tears to
form in your eyes. What really happened is you entered a light state
of hypnosis, or put in different words, an altered state of mind.
>From the foregoing example we can see that you have two minds. You
have a conscious mind and a subconscious mind (sometimes called the
unconscious mind). The conscious mind functions with the use of logic.
It concludes that 2+2 = 4. Your subconscious mind does not always
think logically. It sees 2+2 equals whatever it desires to create,
believe, is self-suggested, or suggested by the therapist. When you
were watching the movie, you entered an altered state of mind which is
called hypnosis. The scene in the movie caused a temporary shut down
of the conscious mind's logical analysis. As you progressed more
deeply into the movie's plot, it slowly caused your conscious mind to
become oblivious of the fact you were watching an artificially
produced image (a movie). At that point, all the information you were
taking in from the movie (including the sad scene) bypassed your
conscious mind (which does critical analysis) and went directly to
your subconscious mind. In turn, your subconscious mind illogically
responded to the sad scene and reacted to it as if it were real.
Therefore, you felt sad, and tears came to your eyes.

It's obvious that the subconscious mind is capable of responding to
direct and implied suggestions (like those in a movie scene or that
are given by a hypnotist). It doesn't matter if the suggestions are
true or false. The subconscious mind responds to acceptable
suggestions as if they are real. This is how a woman can be hypnotized
to deliver her baby without feeling pain, a hypnotized man can have a
root canal without feeling pain, or a well-made movie can hypnotically
evoke emotions of sadness, excitement, anger or laughter from its
viewer. Fortunately, one's free agency cannot be overruled merely by
suggestion or hypnosis. For instance, when you experience a sad movie
which makes you sad and weep, you are watching the movie with your
permission. You had a mind set (an expectation) that you were going to
watch the movie and be entertained which included the experience of
the emotions generated by the story, through the actors. Therefore, if
the movie is a comedy, you fully expected it to amuse you, and make
you laugh. If the movie is a horror story, you expected it to frighten
you. If the movie was sad, you expected it to evoke feelings of
sadness within you. Therefore, one's mind set or level of expectation
is a mandatory prelude to achieving an altered state of mind (which is
hypnosis). Because of this fact, nobody can be hypnotized nor can
their mind be placed into an altered state without their permission.
Therefore, a human being cannot be hypnotized against his or her will.

Other facts about hypnosis you should know:

Hypnosis causes neural activity to be excited within certain parts of
your brain. This can be observed on devices that measure brain wave
activity. Brain wave activity changes when the mind enters an altered
state (hypnosis). This is just as natural as entering a dream state or
being in a state of deep meditation.

Hypnosis is amplification of one's imagination.

Hypnosis is a state in which the conscious mind is experiencing an
excess of information (overload) through one or more of the primary
senses (hearing, sight, smell, touch, and taste). This overload is
caused by the narrowing of one's focus on one's own thoughts or an
outside source such as the suggestive statements of another person.
Example: When you are driving down the highway in deep thought on a
given subject (your mind is being overloaded with your thoughts) and
you miss a turnoff. You were, at the time you passed your turnoff, in
a light state of hypnosis. You were so deeply and narrowly focused on
what you were thinking about, you became oblivious to the turnoff, and
drove past it.

Hypnosis is a process which the client or a hypnotist guides the
client past the client's conscious thinking which in turn causes
direct accesses to the client's subconscious mind. Once access to the
subconscious mind is achieved (when one enters the hypnotic state),
the subconscious mind can be given directions and suggestions by one's
self or by a hypnotherapist. The suggestions presented may or may not
be accepted. If they are accepted, they are acted upon by the
hypnotized subject, and sometimes without conscious awareness.
Generally speaking, the subconscious mind will not cause any change in
one's behavior which it knows is a detriment to itself (meaning you),
other people, things or property.

Accessing the subconscious mind (the act of inducing a person into a
hypnotic state) can be done using a variety of induction methods such
as progressive relaxation, imaging, visualization, overloading the
conscious mind, implied and indirect suggestion, fervent prayer,
chanting, cult dancing and music.

Hypnosis, when used in hypnotherapy, is not a belief system. It
doesn't matter whether you believe in it or not. It works for the vast
majority of the human race. The use of clinical hypnosis to modify
behavior is a science. It is a clearly understood phenomenon which is
primarily used in clinical applications to modify behavior in order to
eliminate specific disorders and undesirable habits. It is also used
for entertainment such as hypnotist's stage shows. Hypnotic therapy is
taught in most every major university which has a department of
psychology. Hypnoanesthesia is used by many medical doctors (pain-free
surgery without use of anesthesia). Dentists use hypnosis to eliminate
fear of dentistry, to relax their patient and to eliminate pain caused
by tooth filling, tooth extraction, and root canal procedures. They
also use it to eliminate bruxism (grinding of teeth).

Many psychologists and other health care providers use hypnosis to
help their client's achieve goals and to promote better mental health.
Hypnosis, and its use in clinical therapy (hypnotic therapy), is
endorsed by the American Medical Association and the American
Psychological Association.

Almost everyone enters an altered state of mind (hypnosis) daily (even
those who believe they cannot be hypnotized or that hypnosis is
unnatural, weird, demonic or in some way anti-Christ). Whenever you
are in deep thought, meditating, engaged in solemn prayer, spellbound
by a movie, entranced in a television show or engrossed in a good
book, you are in a light state of hypnosis. Anytime you respond to a
suggestion, either directly, or indirectly, you are experiencing a
light state of hypnosis. An example is when a comedian acts out
bizarre behavior which makes you laugh. The comedian's suggestive
comical behavior, and comments are exaggerated or simply not true, but
they are funny, and you laugh. If you seriously and critically
analyzed the comedian's bizarre antics, and comments, they would not
be funny to you. Try this experiment: Watch a comedian or sitcom that
normally makes you laugh. Remain serious and critically analyze
everything the comedian is saying and doing (which keeps you
functioning at your conscious mind's level and blocks access to your
subconscious mind). You will not find the comedian or sitcom funny.
Why? Your logical conscious mind is in a state of analysis. Whenever
the conscious mind is in a state of analysis, it is impossible to
access your subconscious mind and enter an altered state of mind. In
other words, it's impossible to achieve the state of hypnosis while
critically analyzing the process of being hypnotized.

The conscious mind has to be moved out of the way or in some manner
diverted to allow access to the subconscious mind. Many methods have
been devised to accomplish this. Any method which effectively bypasses
the conscious mind and obtains access to the subconscious mind can
broadly be defined as hypnosis. The most common methods used to bypass
the conscious mind to allow access to the subconscious mind are:

Progressive relaxation
Confusion
Overload
Guided imagery (visualization)
Biofeedback
Prayer
Meditation

Hypnosis is not brain washing. The term brain washing is a colloquial
term used by the military and intelligence agencies for the forceful
extraction of secrets and intelligence data from individuals utilizing
psychological and physiological methods. It is also used by
intelligence agencies and cults to modify belief systems to accomplish
a predefined behavior. Brain washing incorporates the use of
prolonged, repetition of psychologically driven cult dogma and
rituals, or the application of physical and psychological torture
methods which produce prolonged, agonizing, controlled pain or
discomfort to force behavior to change or a confession of information.
Brain washing can also be accomplished with the use of drugs which
inhibit the brain's ability to use logic and resistance which
facilitates easier access to the conscious and subconscious minds from
which intelligence data may be extracted.

A hypnotized person will not reveal any personal information or
secrets unless he/she wants to.

A hypnotized person is capable of confabulation (making up stories,
exaggerations and lies). A hypnotized person cannot be forced to tell
the truth via hypnotic interrogation. This is why testimony derived
from a hypnotized subject is not admissible as evidence in a court of
law in the United States.

Professional, clinical hypnotherapy has absolutely nothing to do with
any religion, spiritualism, demons, satanism, witchcraft, Lucifer, or
any other kind of evil icon. Anyone who tells you it does is ignorant
of the science of hypnosis.

Do not confuse hypnosis with the trance state which people appear to
be in while performing a religious or cult ritual like voodoo dancing,
screaming and chanting. When observing such phenomena, you are
observing a state of hysteria.

Some people, particularly those that are members of certain secular
religious groups, and have no training in modern psychology, believe
that accessing a person's mind using hypnotism exposes the subject's
mind to demonic forces and like evil spirits. They believe one gives
up their free agency and self-will to the control of these imaginary
evil ghosts and beings. Such ignorant people cannot, in any
understandable manner, substantiate their claim of a person being
demonically possessed while in a state of hypnosis. Such people who
claim demonic possession happens or is possible have beliefs which are
based purely on ignorance, fear, and superstition. Anyone who acts out
as if possessed by some evil entity is in a state of self-induced
hysteria.

The only main stream religions which forbid the use of clinical
hypnotherapy for their members are Christian Science and Seventh-Day
Adventist. Other religions of which I am aware embrace modern,
clinical hypnotherapy as a modality used for positive behavior
modification, vocational, and avocational improvement.

Some religions frown on stage hypnosis for entertainment purposes, but
endorse hypnosis for therapy purposes.

The only person who has the authority and power to hypnotize you, is
you! The reason for this is simple. Technically, all hypnosis is
self-hypnosis. When a hypnotherapist is engaged in the process of
hypnotizing you, it is actually you who are hypnotizing yourself with
his guidance. The hypnotherapist is merely guiding you into the
hypnotic state with your permission; however, it is only you who puts
yourself into a state of hypnosis acting on the suggestions given to
you by the hypnotherapist. If you gave yourself the same suggestions
that a hypnotherapist would give to you, and self-acted them out, you
would enter the same state of hypnosis the hypnotherapist would have
guided you into. When you hypnotize yourself, it is called
auto-suggestion or self-hypnosis.

Most people do not know the correct techniques to provide themselves
the proper suggestions to cause a self-induced hypnotic trance. It is
a skill which is learned. Therefore, most people who seek hypnotherapy
rely on a clinician who is properly trained and experienced in the
clinical application of hypnosis to guide them into a hypnotic state.
This is called hetero-hypnosis. If you want to learn how to hypnotize
yourself for self-improvement, you should complete the appropriate
courses in self-hypnosis which are available from state certified
schools and accredited universities. If you do not want to take the
time to learn self-hypnosis, then you will need to rely on a
professional hypnotherapist to help you achieve a hypnotic state.

The vast majority of the human race is hypnotizable. It is estimated
that more than 90% of the world's population is hypnotizable.

In my professional opinion, the only people who cannot be hypnotized
are those that have the following disorders:

Mentally retarded, with a clinically diagnosed intelligence score
indicating an intelligence range from moron down to an idiot.

Refractory. Consistently resistant due to a belief system, antisocial
behavioral disorder, or paranoia.

The complete inability to use imagination.

Intellectual, analytical, suggestible personality (without instruction)

Certain severe, psychopathological disorders such as schizophrenia,
acute anxiety which cause panic attacks, and certain severe
personality disorders.

People who are blind can be hypnotized.

People who are hearing impaired or completely deaf can be hypnotized
with use of visual signing.

The more intelligent a person is, provided they are mentally stable,
the more susceptible they are to hypnosis. Intelligent people enter
into hypnosis quite easily.

People who are in an altered state of mind (hypnosis) are always in
control of themselves. They are aware of what is going on. They remain
conscious. All the primary and secondary autonomic body functions, and
mental processes are fully functional, and in certain instances are
amplified.

A person in a state of hypnosis can hear, see, feel, taste and smell
just as well as they do in an unhypnotized state.

People in a hypnotic trance have the ability to self-terminate their
trance instantly, and at any time. You cannot be made to remain in a
hypnotic state.

An altered state of mind (hypnosis) can be induced via a post hypnotic
suggestion. For instance, a therapist may assist the client to implant
the suggestion into the client's mind that when he (the therapist)
says the word sleep (or any other key word suggested) the client will
immediately return to a hypnotic trance, swiftly, deeply and soundly.
Provided the client discerns there is no detriment to this suggestion,
and agrees to it, thereafter, every time the therapist says to the
client, sleep, the client goes into a hypnotic trance. This is ideal
for repetitious therapy. It shortens the time necessary to induce the
client into the hypnotic state for each therapy session, and allows
more time for the application of therapeutic counseling while the
client is in a state of hypnosis. A post hypnotic suggestion may also
be structured to trigger an act or certain behavior by the client. For
instance, a suggestion may be given to a client that every time he
lifts off the ground while in an airplane, he immediately becomes
deeply relaxed and has no fear of flight. The result is the client's
phobia (fear of flying) is countered and relieved via the post
hypnotic suggestion.

Now you have many facts regarding hypnosis which is substantiated with
volumes of clinical data and hard scientific research. Hypnotherapy is
safe when used by professional clinicians to benefit their clients. It
works in a positive manner. It is the first choice of therapy used by
thousands of health care professionals to assist their clients, change
behavior, and to cause improvements in vocation, avocation, life
style, physical and mental health.

Thanking you,
Lissy Verghese

http://www.epubbooks.com/books