Friends,

The day before yesterday, a colleague of ours along with his wife had gone
to a market near their house in North Delhi. Both are visually impaired and
the lighting on the road was poor and the wife slipped and fell into a pit
on the way and was badly hurt.

Now pits, open man holes and all kinds of such obstacles are not very
uncommon in a country like ours where the civic administration is totally
inefficient, corrupt and insensitive. All of us  who are visually impaired
in this country have to thank God that we have not fallen into any of these
traps as yet that are waiting for us in our cities while going about our
daily lives.

We are called upon to be independent and  mobile. I wonder how this is
possible when the environment around us is unsafe and inaccessible.

This apart,  a few years ago I was visiting an old building in Central Delhi
and while climbing the stairs, I found uncovered electric wires hanging
loosely on the sides of the staircase. A blind person could easily touched
these wires. Wonder what the city authorities would have said then. I have
encountered such staircases in Mumbai too.

Another safety hazard for us blind people are the stray dogs and monkeys
that boldly roam the streets these days. Shouldn't we do something about
this?

I think it is time we raised our voices against this. People have to realise
that open man holes uncovered pits, untidy footpaths, uncovered electric
wires, stray animals  and the like are unsafe for all concerned. We should
not be waiting for an accident to take place before  taking any action.

People interested in joining us in filing a PIL in this regard, please write
to us privately at

advoc...@eyeway.org

We have to make our cities safer for each of us.

Look forward to hearing from you!

George
George Abraham
CEO