To: "accessindia" <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Query for cooking area...

Well, folks, I’ve been reading this thread since yesterday, and  got
really amazed to see so many terrific and useful responses and tips.
I’m one of those atypical men who’ve got hobby  of cooking, although I
do not get those many chances to groom it due to the hectic work
schedule and  denial from family.
i love cooking things like sandwitches, beverages, cakes, maggy, rice,
salids,  dried snacks, and selected vegetables (curries).
During the process,  I do use different kinds of  appliances, vessels
and ingredients  and manage to successfully prepare the dishes.
Through this email, I’d like to tell my fellow list mates that cooking
is not that difficult if you once prepare yourself for the minimal
risks of mishap that may occur due to the unavailability of sighte.
Although I don’t use any of them, but there are a good number of
assistive devices and technologies available which may ease your
potential problem (s) and allow you to accessibly cook delicious food
with no special risks.

Coming to lightening up the gas, I always  light  the gas first, and
then put the vessel on it.
This, makes it easier for me to properly adjust the position of the
vessel allowing it to receive the proper heat that’s being produced by
the gas.

Cooking without looking is certainty an art, and requires several
extra efforts in order to do the things efficiently.
From my limited personal experiences with it, I found out that its
really important for a visually impaired person to keep all the senses
open while cooking.
For instance, every operation produces a specific sound, and if you
can track down what sounds how  and why, it makes the things very easy
for you.
Boiling of milk and water, boiling of different vegetables, frying,
baking, mashing, tosting etc, all have different and specific sounds
associated with them,  and once you master the art of understanding
them,  you’d find a drastic improvement in your confidence and
efficiency.

Similarly, keeping your touch sense open to feel and analyse various
things and their textures and keeping the smelling sense open to
measure  so many things helps a great way too.

One of the biggest problems that I’ve personally had was about
cutting, peeling, crushing and chopping vegetables,  which if not done
wit concentration may consequence finger and arm injuries.

Also, I’ve had   severe troubles  in identifying and remembering the
textures, smells  and positions of various spices,  that look very
confusing at the outset.

I guess that the practice and self confidence is the key to be
efficient in cooking.
I myself am not one,  but I’m learning from my own mistakes,
experiences and of course the extremely valuable advises and guidance
from many experts available on this list.

Oh, and one of the most severe challenges that I’m facing is the
denial  from family,  as my mom does not allow me to cook that much,
but I’ve been fortunate  enough to be able to learn the same from some
good friends, and still learning it.
please get in touch for anything you believe I can help with.

On a lighter note, all those who’d like to eat the food cooked by me
on their own risk are much welcome! ☺

Regards,
Prateek agarwal.
Managing director,