Hello,

I made some notes a few years back on mail merge. I note down the steps when I do something new. This is most probably for Word 2003. I am pasting below the steps in detail. hope, this helps.

With best Regards,
Amiyo Biswas
Cell: +91-9433464329

Using mail merge feature in MS Word

You can use mail merge feature in Word to create a single letter and then address it to several persons. You can also use other data from the source and compose useful form letters for speedy disposal. The source may be a word table, an excel worksheet, an access table and the like.

If the source is a word table, it is desirable that the word document should contain the table on top and the heading row should be clearly marked with bold letters or in some similar way. The excel sheet to be used as the data source should contain the data on the first sheet and right from the first row. The first row should obviously be marked as heading row with bold letters or the like. Otherwise you may find it difficult to select the exact rows for data using Jaws.

Follow the steps below:

1. First open ms word with the document1 open before you.

2. Now activate Mail merge submenu under Tools menu.

3. Press alt+c to execute the Create command.

4. Use down arrow to select Form letters option and hit enter on it.

5. Press alt+a to execute the Active window command.

6. Press enter or down arrow to activate the Get data menu.

7. Press down arrow to select Create data source option and press enter. This means, you are going to create an address book in ms word.

7A. If you already have a data source file, select Open data source button and press enter.

7B. You will land on a standard open dialogue box. Select the data source file and open it. Remember to select the exact file type in the 'files of type' combo box if you have in your data in an access or excel file.

7C. Now you will land on the Edit main document button. Press enter on it and the Mail merge toolbar will appear. Now Follow the instructions given below for using the Mail merge toolbar. You can skip rest of these instructions in paragraphs 8 to 15 if you already have a data source ready.

8. After you activate the Create data source button, you will find a tricky dialogue box with several controls like Add button, Remove button and so on. Tab over to the list containing Field names in header row. You will find a list of standard address fields all of which you may not require. Use up or down arrow to check the list of fields.

9. You may not require the fields like Title, JobTitle, HomePhone etc for address. So use arrow key to select the field and press alt+r to remove that field from the list. You should leave the fields like FirstName, LastName, Address1, Address2 etc as they are in your data source.

10. You can use Move up or Move down button to move a field one level up or down. Remember that this can be used to take FirstName before LastName.

11. Suppose you want to add a field to record something extra, say amound due. Just tab over to the edit field after the MSQuery button. Normally this edit field contain the highlighted field name. Simply type AmountDue without spaces. Now tab over to the Add button and hit enter, or press alt+a to activate the Add command.

12. Now tab over to the ok button and hit enter key.

13. You will land on a standard Save as dialogue box asking for a file name. Follow the prompts to save the data source file.

14. Since your data source does not contain any data, you will land on the Edit data source button by default. Press enter on it to enter data in the source file.

15. Here you will find the edit fields you specified. Type in the data for each record. When one record is finished, press alt+a to add a new record. When all records are entered, tab over to the ok button and hit enter.

Using the mail merge toolbar

You have either created a data source or opened one, I hope. Now let us try to write a form letter.

1. Now a blank Word document should be open up with an additional mail merge toolbar. The rest is all the same as in all blank documents.

2. The cursor should be at the top of the document. Type 'To' without the apostrophes and hit enter.

3. Here you are supposed to type in the customer's name. Instead we shall place the FirstName field from the mail merge toolbar. Press alt key and then press ctrl+tab key until jaws says Insert merge fields button menu. It is the first button on the mail merge toolbar. Press down arrow or enter to activate it. The first field should be FirstName field. Hit enter on it and it will be added to the document at the location of the cursor.

Verify it with left and right arrow keys. Jaws recognises it as a field. The field name is enclosed in << and >> signs. Jaws announces these signs as double left angle bracket and double right angle bracket.

4. Hit spacebar once and follow the same process to add the LastName field.

5. Hit enter once to create a new line. Now follow the same process to add the Address1 field.

6. Hit enter once to create a new line. Now follow the same process to add the Address2 field.

7. Create a new line and add the City field. Press comma and spacebar once to insert another field on the same line.

8. Add the State field. Press spacebar once more.

9. Add the ZIP/PIN code field.

10. It is now clear, I think, how we should add fields to the document. A draft of the letter is given below as an example where the fields are surrounded by << and >> signs:

   Date field
Dear Mr. <<LastName>>,

It appears from our records that The amount of Rs. <<AmountDue>> is still due from you on account of supply of the books mentioned in the annexure.

We look forward to receiving the due amount from you in a few days.

Yours sincerely,
Signature
Designation

11. When the draft letter is complete, press Show field/values button on the mail merge toolbar. Now check the document. Notice that the fields have been updated with values from the first record in the data source.

Note that the mail merge toolbar has First, Next, Previous and Last buttons which you can activate to insert values from different records. You can also use the spellchecker here which you cannot use in an Access report.

If you want to create form letters with values from all records, activate the Merge to document button on the Mail merge toolbar. A Word document with form letters from with values from all records will be created. You can save it for later use or print it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "nitesh gupta" <nitesh...@gmail.com>