From: Chetan Soni
Sent:  24.11.2012, 10.34  pm
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in; keyboardus...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AI] An idea of a device which can make an inaccessible device
accessible

Hi friends, The technological revolution has changed the operations of many
devices or appliances of our daily use from simple to complex and complicated
for the visually challenged as these devices have turn digital. The use of a
computer and reading an SMS or performing such type of task by a visually
challenged person was once thought to be a dream but now it has become a
reality because of the advent of screen reading programs, specialized OCRs and
a variety of hardware products incorporating such programs but it may not be
possible to make each and every device, appliance or a setup accessible as soon
as it is put for the use. Thus it becomes difficult for a visually challenged
person to access certain things like the menu displayed on an LCD TV screen,
list of channels shown by a DTH set top box, buttons of an elevator (lift),
Display of the musical notes or a virtual instrument on a musical keyboards,
list of files and folders and the time on the display of a DVD player and so
on. Visually challenged persons put an excessive load on their PCs and mobile
phones to enjoy movies and music, listen to the news and TV shows etc. This
necessitates the search of a portable device which must be user friendly and
can scan the displays or buttons of an inaccessible device from a distance and
convert the same in to an audio output. The proposed device may emit a beam of
infra red rays which may strike the targeted device and reflect back to the
sensor from where it may be scanned and converted in to the digital electronic
signals and processed by an in-build micro processor and produce the desired
output with the help of the pre-installed relevant software.
We need the help and guidance from an electronics engineer and a computer
expert specializing in programming.
Please give your valuable suggestions in this regards so that I can take up
this issue with the relevant personnel who are in contact with me.
With regards

Chetan Soni
Physiotherapist

Mobile: