Abstract
In modern daily life people need to move, whether in business or
leisure, sightseeing or addressing a meeting. Often this is done in
familiar environments, but in some cases we need to find our way in
unfamiliar scenarios. Visual impairment is a factor that greatly
reduces mobility. Currently, the most widespread and used means by the
visually impaired people are the white stick and the guide dog;
however both present some limitations. With the recent advances in
inclusive technology it is possible to extend the support given to
people with visual impairment during their mobility. In this context
we propose a system, named SmartVision, whose global objective is to
give blind users the ability to move around in unfamiliar
environments, whether indoor or outdoor, through a user friendly
interface that is fed by a geographic information system (GIS). In
this paper we propose the development of an electronic white cane that
helps moving around, in both indoor and outdoor environments,
providing contextualized geographical information using RFID
technology.

Published in:
World Automation Congress (WAC), 2010
Full Article can be accessed at: