For those who don't yet know (there have been no real mail announcements -
not even to pm-news), you can get the terrible news from:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/05/pegasus_free_email/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Mail
http://www.pmail.com/

Downloads and the rest of the site can still effectively be accessed if
you bypass the homepage, like this:
http://www.pmail.com/downloads.htm

Mercury and Pegasus Mail were not open source (Pegasus Mail used
thirdparty proprietary components), so will they ever go on now?  David
Harris was thinking about Open Source.  Financial circumstances were
obviously a serious problem, and no wonder.  In November he announced the
free release of the support-subscription-provided PDF manuals, but his
primary mail exchanger (persephone.pmail.gen.nz) has been unreachable
since his announcement and my email questions about this (I'm a former
support subscription holder) are of course unanswered.  Finally, his
announcement suggests he will advise people on alternatives; we shall have
to see what this means.

Pegasus and Mercury were powerful programs and it's no surprise that
accmailers take a fancy to them.  Me - well, I've been using Pegasus since
1998 and I'm very sorry to see its effective demise.  I will not
transition unless there is a reason to do so, though, and continue to use
it now.  For a few years (around 2000-2003) I also used Mercury as my
primary mailer (though my demands soon outstripped its capabilities and
I'm now using Sendmail with all that Unix power).  Once again, solid stuff
that'll be missed.

Sabahattin

PS: since I first posted this, persephone is back up and receiving mail
again.  I have therefore been able to retrieve my final manual sets.  The
author has not yet gotten back to us, though, so I'm just going to assume
for now that he would rather people not try to download anything.  The
announce lists are up, but silent.

PPS: there's an addendum to the announcement at http://www.pmail.com/ .
It may answer some of the above - namely, it is financial difficulty, it
might not be a tragedy with the right sponsorship, he may consider opening
the source.

--
Address harvesters, snag this: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +44 20 88008915