Hi all,

TL;DR: Pub/sub and multicast hallway discussion happening at IETF104 (possibly
during the hackathon?). Slides here:
https://github.com/EricssonResearch/coap-pubsub-profile/blob/master/Pubsub-multicast.pdf
  Contact me if interested.
As mentioned during the CoRE interim, I have started to think on how to
progress the security for pub/sub work. For the people not following, there is
currently one draft in Ace that describes a profile of Ace for authorization
and key distribution + communication protection for CoAP pubsub [1]:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-palombini-ace-coap-pubsub-profile-03.

While looking at how to move forward that draft, some things came up: first of
all, it would be nice to use multicast to broadcast notifications from broker
to subscribers, for performance reasons. Secondly, the ace-coap-pubsub document
miss a way to protect unaware nodes to get unwillingly subscribed by attackers
spoofing their IP address. In fact, ace-coap-pubsub does protect the
publication, but does not set up the “authorization for subscribers” mechanism,
or any other DoS protection mechanism.

These two points might seem parallel and independent, but one influence the
others: depending on how multicast notifications are set up, we might reuse
existing mechanisms that might protect against unauthorized nodes being sent
notifications from the broker.

I put up some ideas in slides and was hoping to get some discussion started
during the hackathon (if possible):
https://github.com/EricssonResearch/coap-pubsub-profile/blob/master/Pubsub-multicast.pdf
 and/or in the mailing list. As you can see, I try to explain the problem and
come up with possible solutions based on the existing drafts. These are of
course just very high level draft solutions, and require more discussion.

Any feedback welcome!

Francesca

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-coap-pubsub-08