Where in the Acegi framework can I plug in a piece of code to be called upon successful Authentication?  I need a couple of things to be placed onto the session after a user has been successfully authenticated into our system.

I took a look at net.sf.acegisecurity.ui.webapp.AuthenticationProcessingFilter and it looks like it's got everything I need except for a way to look for and run a registered callback object.

Unless I'm missing some other interface/class that I haven't seen yet, how does the following sound:

Add a callback property to the config for AuthenticationProcessingFilter:

 <bean id="authenticationProcessingFilter"
  class="net.sf.acegisecurity.ui.webapp.AuthenticationProcessingFilter">
  <property name="authenticationManager">
   <ref bean="authenticationManager"/>
  </property>
  <property name="authenticationFailureUrl">
   <value>/login/loginError.do?login_error=1</value>
  </property>
  <property name="defaultTargetUrl">
   <value>/</value>
  </property>
  <property name="filterProcessesUrl">
   <value>/login/j_acegi_security_check.flt</value>
  </property>
  <property name="callback">
   <ref bean="authenticationCallback"/>
  </property>
 </bean>

 <bean id="authenticationCallback"
  class="mycompany.mypackageAuthenticationCallback">
AuthenticationCallback would implement an interface HttpCallback:

/**
* A callback interface to be used whenever another process needs to be notified of an
* HTTP-related event that's occured. Its first use is a callback right after a successful
* authentication attemp.
*/
public interface HttpCallback {
    public void callback(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response);
}

This way the code at the end of AuthenticationProcessingFilter.attemptAuthentication() can be changed to check for this registered callback and call it before returning the Authentication object.

How does this sound?

Joseph