I like the idea as well, my only question is (and I've been wondering
this for a while), why do we target the class and not the bean name?

 <init-param>
   <param-name>targetClass</param-name>
   <param-value>net.sf.acegisecurity.FilterChain</param-value>
 </init-param>

Instead of...

 <init-param>
   <param-name>targetBean</param-name>