Matt Raible wrote:

This looks very cool - anything to cut down the amount of XML needed for Acegi Security is a good thing IMO.
I just finished my chapter on security for Spring Live - do you think I should scrap the old stuff and update it to reflect this "new way"? If so, when will 0.8.0 (or will be it 1.0) be released? I know the answer is probably "when it's ready", but it can't hurt to ask. ;-)

I'd use the less verbose XML format.

I think the next version will be 0.8.0, released by the end of February 2005. I hope to get a 1.0.0 release candidate out by the end of March 2005. This is consistent with the project reaching 12 months of age on SourceForge. There are several non-backward compatible changes being introduced in 0.8.0, and I'd like to give people a chance to synchronise with and test those changes before 1.0.0.

Off-list there are ongoing discussions re making Acegi Security a formal Spring subproject, so if this happens some classes might move to Spring Core and/or Acegi Security package names change. Whilst tidying such things up may delay the 1.0.0 release candidate a little, I believe it's better in the long-term for people to have consistent package names etc.

If any members of the community have some spare time, I'd really appreciate some help on the increasingly-busy forums and/or with code. I have a detailed list of new feature proposals and refactorings (primarily based on forum feedback) so there are plenty of things to go on with. This is a good opportunity to get your enhancements and ideas formalised into CVS (especially before 1.0.0 adds further emphasis on backward compatibility).

Best regards