+1 on both Rich's request and the IANA suggestion.

I think something that would help for this purpose would be an
Internet-wide zmap scan of some plausible ports, to ensure there isn't
anything in widespread use on them that could be a relevant attack
surface for the challenge protocols.

Anyone interested in volunteering to do some scans?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 09:52:07AM -0800, Martin Thomson wrote:
> Could we ask IANA for a reserved system port (<1024)?  Then it would
> be possible for an ACME client to operate without disturbing running
> services.
>
> On 23 November 2015 at 08:55, Russ Housley <hous...@vigilsec.com> wrote:
> > Allowing the Web server to continue running on 443 while validation takes
> > place on another port seems like a straightforward resolution to the issue
> > that is raised.
> >
> > Russ
> >

> > On Nov 21, 2015, at 1:03 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:
> >
> >> Please see here for the background:
> >> https://github.com/ietf-wg-acme/acme/issues/4
> >>
> >> But discuss this on the mailing list.

Peter Eckersley                            p...@eff.org
Chief Computer Scientist          Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131