On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 05:53:26AM +0100, Hugo Landau wrote:
> > I don't see a problem with having the directory show that the current
> > ToS is "version 3", and the registration object show that explicit
> > assent was obtained for "version 1", and leaving it up to the legal
> > acrobatics in the text of version 1 to say that explicit assent isn't
> > required for the "or later version" terms to apply automatically at
> > some point in time.
>
> In this case a client should have some way to determine if explicit
> re-agreement is required. An "agreement-valid": bool field would
> suffice for this.

Or just a suitable error code returned for the operation that actually
failed?  Since that won't likely be a query of the registration object,
it's more likely to be noticed when a cert renewal is requested if the
server won't honor that without re-agreement.

> > Yes, but this was an issue with Boulder's implementation, not the
> > protocol per-se.  I personally found it surprising that it allowed
> > this, but the protocol didn't force it to[1] - it could have refused
> > any new-reg request without an acceptance instead of just disallowing
> > later operations until one was received.
> >
> > There were at least some clients that were submitting the acceptance
> > with the initial new-reg request.
>
> Fairly sure the only way to determine the ToS URI is by registering
> first so you can get it from the Link header. The ToS URI still isn't
> available in boulder's directory:
>   https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/directory

Ah yes, you're correct about that.  I even have a very special warning
in my code for the case where a user passes --accept-tos when it hasn't
yet been seen, to cover the case of current Boulder.

I do cache it on a per-CA basis though, so that would work if you'd
registered at least one account previously and the ToS hadn't changed.
(it's cached precisely so that the user can be warned if/when it does
ever change).

Unless I've forgotten something else, it is still a glitch in Boulder
rather than the protocol spec though.

> So if any clients were submitting the ToS URI they must have been
> hardcoding it, which is a terrible practice.

At least one (very popular one) definitely was/is, and yes it is.

I didn't start writing a client of my own because I thought Good
Practice (for my use case) was already a solved problem :)