On 09/26/2016 10:13 PM, Hugo Landau wrote:
>>  a) Click a link in the email, read the new ToS, and click "Agree" at
>> the bottom.
>>  b) Click a link in the email, read the new ToS, and copy and paste the
>> new ToS URL into the customer's ACME client config.
>>
>> I think (a) is both more user-friendly and more likely to be what a CA
>> would actually implement.
> I agree that (a) would make sense for many users. However, providing an
> e. mail address is not mandatory, and (b) is more automatable anyway. So
> I'd expect most users to use (a) and users with large deployments or no
> e. mail address registered to at least be able to use (b) if they
> wanted.
The notion generalizes to any out-of-band communication, whether it's
email, SMS, RSS, or carrier pigeon. If there's some out-of-band way for
the CA to communicate with its users, they can just provide a link to a
page where the user can agree to the new ToS.

On 09/26/2016 10:36 PM, Ron wrote:
> And then there's the little question of emailing a few billion users
> vs' setting a notification bit in a response when they next connect to
> the service ... assuming we want this to be ubiquitous and scalable.
I expect that the total Subscribers using ACME will number in the low
millions, not billions. And the capacity to email all of one's customers
is not generally a problem for even the largest services.