This document is a key piece of the STIR/SHAKEN infrastructure, as
such, I think that this is worth working on and a good basis for that.
I have a few questions, some of which might touch on the
stir-certificates draft (which I see is in the RFC editor's queue,
hmm).

STIR certificates define TNAuthList to be a list of service provider
codes, number ranges and numbers.  Is there any reason why this needs
have more than one service provider code?  Indeed, is there any reason
that service provider codes and telephone numbers need to be merged
into a single type?  Reading RFC 5280, subjectAltName can include
multiple otherName values, each of which could be a
serviceProviderCode or a telephone number set.  I see several
alternatives, for instance each otherName could be:

1. a mix of SPC and TN sets (today)
2. either a SPC or a TN set as two separate types
3. a single SPC with an associated TN set
4. a TN set with a optional SPC associated
5. a TN set with an optional SPC set

It's not obvious, but I assume that there are cases where service
providers end up with multiple service provider codes over time.  If
the numbers allocated to that provider get all mixed up so that there
is no longer a clean mapping from a number to a service provider code,
then option 1 (or 5) seem like the best choice.

I ask because the encoding of TNAuthList into JSON isn't specified in
the draft.  It seems like the interactions here with the STI-PA are
largely based on service provider code and the example is actually
showing a service provider code (and not an E.164 range as might be
inferred from the hypen).

Is this the intended interaction model:

a. the service provider sends its codes to the CA,
b. the CA asks the STI-PA about the service provider codes,
c. the STI-PA returns in the affirmative (possibly including
associated telephone numbers),
d. the CA authorizes the certificate issuance (possibly including the
telephone numbers or using the telephone numbers to validate the
subjectAltName proposed in the CSR).

Or is the model intentionally flexible about what the service provider
can request authorization for?  Can the service provider request
authorization for a telephone number range that is orthogonal to the
codes that it might use?

Having this explained in more details would help a lot.  A ladder
diagram for the interaction above might help too - existing ACME
challenges mostly involve talking back to the ACME client, this goes
to a third party.

If there is some directed association between service provider codes
and telephone numbers, then option 5 above might be a more natural fit
for the certificate (or 4 if the TN-SPC mapping is forced to be
many-to-one at the STI-PA).  Otherwise, I'm not sure why the two types
of data are intermixed.  From the ACME perspective, I want to
understand why there is a TNAuthList type rather than separate
"service-provider-code" and "tn-set" identifiers.