On 11 July 2017 at 07:29, Mary Barnes <mary.ietf.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to review.   We're actually working on a revision
> right now addressing your comments and agree totally with your point that
> more detail is definitely needed in this draft.  Since we were still
> reviewing letter ballot comments on the document at the draft deadline, we
> decided to wait for the revision until we knew how those would be handled
> and whether we might need additional changes to accommodate any of those
> comments. But, we plan to submit once the draft submissions re-open.
>
> One important note is that this document is dealing only with challenges
> associated with the Service Provider Codes and related token.  Jon has a
> separate draft outlining challenges for telephone numbers:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-acme-telephone-00      I do have a
> few inline comments below [MB].

I reviewed the number one also, but didn't have any concrete
questions.  I was going to provide comments on automating the process,
but it's been one of those weeks.

>> Indeed, is there any reason
>> > that service provider codes and telephone numbers need to be merged
>> > into a single type?
>
> [MB] That's a good question for STIR WG, but again I think it was for
> flexibility, although I guess you could still define each separately and if
> you had a mix, then you have both. [/MB]

subjectAltName more or less relies on this.  The only cost is
inefficiency.  You wouldn't want to have a SAN otherName for every
telephone number, but I think that you could easily pay that cost for
the service provider code.

>> > 1. a mix of SPC and TN sets (today)
>> > 2. either a SPC or a TN set as two separate types
>> > 3. a single SPC with an associated TN set
>> > 4. a TN set with a optional SPC associated
>> > 5. a TN set with an optional SPC set
>
> [MB] So, I don't think we've explored all those combinations.  Right now for
> SHAKEN obviously we are only using a single SPC.  Obviously, SPs will have a
> way of associating TNs with an SPC, but at this point, there's no intent to
> use certificates or do validation per TN (or a set of).    Jon talks a
> little bit about cases with both in section 4.1 of his draft.  But, I don't
> think we have a definitive approach yet. [/MB]

I see that the IESG approved stir-certificates.  I'm a little
concerned that it's going to be published without ever having
discussed this rather fundamental piece.  I'll ping Jon and STIR
(YAML, FML); maybe this was discussed and there is a good story.

> [MB] The intent for this draft is to encode the TNAuthList as an array of
> strings to support multiple service provider codes.
> Now perhaps we should rename it from TNAuthList to SPAuthList since we don't
> intend for this challenge type to support
> TNs. [/MB]

That's an improvement better.  To be consistent with domain names, you
probably want to include just a single service provider code.  You can
gain authorizations for multiple codes separately, and ACME supports
that.