> On Jan 11, 2018, at 22:26, Martin Thomson <martin.thom...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you are using a new protocol, all of the concerns Peter have come
> into play.  If you are there, why wouldn't you do the challenge
> validation within the new protocol rather than using the certificate
> (which is sent in the clear in current TLS versions).  That might be
> easier to implement than generating the self-signed certificate…

I don’t think an entirely new protocol makes sense. In order to do the
TLS/SNI/ALPN handshake a certificate is already sent in the ServerHello, so
there’s no reason not to use it to transport the authorization token.
Generating a self-signed certificate is trivial, and I’m not aware of any
relevant security concerns around fetching the authorization in the clear (the
dns-01 and http-01 challenge types are plaintext as well).