Hi!

I also see the problem that clients might get confused because there are
seemingly two authentications for the very same domain ("example.com").
Without a proper flag, they could only be distinguished by the different set
of challenges, but that would assume knowledge of server internas.

Also, the client could actively validate the authorization having
wildcard=true first, and then could check if it is still necessary to do the
other authorization. Depending on the server implementation, if verifying the
wildcard domain also validates the domain itself, it could save an unnecessary
challenge round trip.

--
Richard Körber