On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 10:13 AM Kas <kas=40lightc....@dmarc.ietf.org>
wrote:

> Hi Richard,
> The weak point here is the TLS connection so the question is :
> How to prevent man in the middle from issuing a compromised certificate to
> automated client ?

I don't understand what you're proposing here.  There's nothing we can do
in a protocol to stop a CA from issuing any certificate it wants to.
(That's why we have Baseline Requirements, audits, etc.)

Are you worried about a MitM causing the real CA to issue a certificate to
the MitM?  That risk is already addressed in ACME, but using *client*
authentication, not server authentication -- what matters is the client
from which the server accepts domain proof and a CSR, not what server the
client thinks it's talking to.

> or How to make sure TLS connection is not compromised ?
>
> TLS require self signed root certificates and CA certificate and this
> compromise the client implementation and put weak points allowing attacks
> or failure due to expired certificates ( compromised system ...) , all of
> this can be prevented without waiting for/(or forcing) DANE by implementing
> similar approach.
> By adding such mechanism client can work securely forever, no certificate
> to expire or revoke, such feature will eliminate the depending on system
> provided CA certificates or any third-party source.

This sentence should cause you concern.  Nothing is forever in security.

As I noted above, there is already no need for third-party resources.

--Richard