Yep, this is the right way to suggest a new draft!  Thanks for writing this
up.

One high-level comment on a quick skim: I don't think you need the new
identifier type.  Since .onion is a "legit" TLD [RFC7686], onion names are
part of the DNS namespace.  It's OK for CAs to have different policies for
different domain names.  Obviously the CABF requirements would require a CA
to validate .onion names differently, but that's up to the CA's internal
logic to choose different challenges.  Note that they already need such
logic, since a client can already send in a .onion name, and the CA
shouldn't validate it like a normal name.

In general, it would be good to understand what extra work is really needed
here.  As you point out, http-01 and tls-alpn-01 work for onion names; is
the new challenge type better in some way?