I don't think we can change challange name while being competiable with CABF reqs: they already point to RFC8555 section 8.3 and RFC8723 for allowed challanges. any other name will not be comply with that.

we can invent new http based challange based 4.3.3.2.18, but it will have to use different location:  .well-known/pki-validation

http-01 and tls-alpn-01 is not allowed to used to wildcard certificate, and Appendix B doesn't override that, so csr crafting challange is only way to process wildcard request. and it's out of bound challange that doesn't need run Tor daemon on CA infrasturcture.

I chooes to create add seperate onion identifier on based on old steff comments on Letsencrypt boulder issue:

https://github.com/letsencrypt/boulder/issues/4620#issuecomment-567637792

2022-05-11 오후 9:36에 Richard Barnes 이(가) 쓴 글:
Yep, this is the right way to suggest a new draft!  Thanks for writing this up.

One high-level comment on a quick skim: I don't think you need the new identifier type.  Since .onion is a "legit" TLD [RFC7686], onion names are part of the DNS namespace.  It's OK for CAs to have different policies for different domain names.  Obviously the CABF requirements would require a CA to validate .onion names differently, but that's up to the CA's internal logic to choose different challenges.  Note that they already need such logic, since a client can already send in a .onion name, and the CA shouldn't validate it like a normal name.

In general, it would be good to understand what extra work is really needed here.  As you point out, http-01 and tls-alpn-01 work for onion names; is the new challenge type better in some way?