My company used Net IQ and had great results.  Cost was about 6.00 per user
for the whole suite. (Includes Exchange Migrator) We tried ADMT but had
problems with the local profiles migrating over to the new domain.

-----Original Message-----
From: Morris, Adam [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 11:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Migration Dilemma

Hello,

We are in the process of planning our migration from NT 4 to Windows 2000
AD.  Last year we deployed a minimal AD site in order to roll-out Exchange
2000 for our users.  User accounts and mailboxes were created in the new
domain but no users were migrated.  Some initial testing with the ADMT
indicates that it will not produce the desired results.

At this time I can see 2 possible plans of action and I'm looking for some
better options.  (Like maybe another way to migrate the SID's to the new
accounts in AD or a way to get ADMT to update the existing accounts instead
of replacing them).

Plan 1:  Back up all the user mailboxes, wipe the AD accounts, use ADMT to
move all the accounts/gropus, and then restore mailbox data.

Plan 2:  Spend the time to develop custom scripts that will add/create the
appropriate groups and script as much of the migration as possible.

Currently we have close to 150 groups for around 400 users and multiple file
servers so the thought of doing a manual migration process is pretty
painful.  If anybody has any suggestions or thoughts I'd much appreciate the
feedback.

Thank you!
Adam Morris