Joe - I certainly agree that LDAP is not a great mechanism for authentication, for the
same reasons.  It is, however, available, and meets an immediate need (beats having a
seperate identity store in each app server).  Getting everyone to speak Kerberos is
not a small task.  Having a single domain allows us to get away with it (using LDAP
for authentication) without hitting some of the issues you mentioned.

Re Websphere, they have indeed improved in some respects, but not in others.  They
still insist on entering a single LDAP host instead of discovering one, but they do
look at a user object's memberOf attribute now to find out which groups they belong
to, and they do recursively look at the memberOf attributes of those groups until they
are empty, so nested groups 'work'.  There's actually an option in the security config
that lets you select which directory type you're using, and one of the selections is
AD.  When you select it, appropriate filters are used for finding users, groups, group
membership, etc.

Since they have some clue about AD, seems to me it shouldn't be that hard to add the
ability to discover DCs, or at the very least, to allow me to give it a static list of
DCs so it can fail over if one goes away.  That goes for lots of other so-called
'directory aware' products....

BEA WebLogic server still searches for all groups that include user X in their
membership list, though.  This would not be workable at all, except for the fact that
our administrative model is very centralized, and we're able to keep all the
applicable groups in the same OU so we can scope those searches down to there.

We do keep the app servers and the DCs they use in the same data center, so the number
of people who can access those network switches is realatively small.  Still, I'd be a
lot more comfortable with Kerberos.  I'm intrigued by some stuff I've read about J2EE
components you can buy that handle Kerberos, but have not had a chance to do any
investigation.
Dave