-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brett Shirley
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:51 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] How much of the DIT is cached in RAM ?

Ignoring Joe's cruel comment about my categorically challenged blog ...
lets get back to something useful ...

So this link gets you started enabling Windows ESE perf counters ...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/res
kit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/docume$
BUT ...

Enabling Advanced Perf Counters:
During step 3, also add this registry value in that same
...\Services\ESENT\Performance regkey:
        Squeaky Lobster = REG_DWORD 00000001 Now, technically this reg
value also works, and is the professional equivalent of the above value:
        Show Advanced Counters = REG_DWORD 00000001 But Eric and I try
to promote Squeaky Lobster usage whenever possible to ensure that ESE
will honor the reg value forever.

Then you can get started on the looking at all the fascinating database
perf counters ...  oooh, I just saw one of our DC's pop to 405k latches
/ second, that's cool.

Setting up adv perf counters is I think similar for Exchange, but for a
slight different registry key.

BTW, does anyone know why does that web page say copy esentprf.dll to a
seperate directory?  I've never done that, seems to work fine.  Huh.

Cheers,
BrettSh [msft]

posting "as is", don't blame me if you hose your DCs. ;)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, joe wrote:

> Hey Brett... I've seen your blog, how about you tell ~Eric the story
> and he can blog it. :o)
>
> <evilgrin>

Lobster"